PDA

View Full Version : how big do frontoza get?

dean30bb
06-13-2008, 03:15 AM
hi all
i have a friend that breeds frontoza and hes giveing me 4 of them for free i was wondering
how big do they get?
can they go with yellow labs/electric yellow and livingstonii?
are they peaceful fish or are they agro?
also can the go in a 5 ft tank?
how fast do they grow?
thanks

Incredulous_Ed
06-13-2008, 03:17 AM
They get over a foot long. I think their temperament can be very aggressive.

kaybee
06-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Multiple frontosa's are best kept in a 6ft+ tank (125gal+).

They get fairly large as previously stated.

Aggression is 'relative'. The two species of african cichlids you mentioned (yellow labs and nimbochromis livingstonii) are usually more aggressive than frontosa's (especially the latter, though yellow labs may nip frontosa fins).

Generally frontosa's are passive low-aggressive fish toward other (usually more aggressive) species, however, they can be fairly aggressive towards each other. Hopefully the four frontosas are 1m/3f.

Mixing african cichlids from different lakes can be done during certain circumstances but entails some risk. For the best shot at success the least aggressive species (the frontosas in this case) should be well established in the tank prior to adding the others.

Also,a full grown frontosa can eat a yellow lab that isn't full grown. The potential for this occuring increases after the lights are out (as frontosas are naturally nocturnal piscavores).

Growth rate is most rapid within the first year or two of life. It takes a newly developed fry approximately 12-18 months to attain 4"-6". After which the rate of growth slows (they may put on an inch or two each subsequent year, depending on variables). Males get larger than females.

sailor
06-13-2008, 03:31 AM
The male frontosa can get up to 16 inches long and the females up to 14. They take approx 2 1/2 to 3 years to reach sexuall maturity, but a few years on top of that to reach full size. Yellow labs/electric yellow and livingstonii have been known to nibble off the long beautiful trailing fins on the fronts. They are best kept in a species tank as anything smaller than them can eventually be considered a meal. They are a harem breeder so an ideal ratio is 1 male to at least 4 or 5 females, this will help spread out the aggression. A 5 foot tank is ok for the first couple of years but should really be housed in a 6 footer or bigger. Once they start aproaching full size they need a lot of room to establish territories as well as flee. The females as well as males will stake out a claim in the aquarium so that's why they need a large tank. If you have any more questions just shoot me ask here or shoot me a pm.

I hope this helps

dean30bb
06-13-2008, 04:28 AM
thanks
i think ill put them in the 5 ft for now by them self then.
i do have a 5ft x2ftx2.5ft tank that i have oscars in can i put them in with oscars when there bigger or not

kaybee
06-13-2008, 04:46 AM
Can't say for sure that combination would work or not, due to several incompatibilities which may arise when keeping new world and old world cichlids together in the same tank. Incompatibilities may manifest immediately or occur gradually over a period of time.

I'm not really a proponent of keeping new world and old world cichlids in the same tank. In fact, there are types of african cichlids I wouldn't put frontosas with. Most frontosas tend not to 'stick up' for themselves when kept with more aggressive fish, and can often times be outcompeted at feeding time.

sailor
06-13-2008, 12:46 PM
That is a combination I would not put in a tank together. They each require a different water chemistry. The Oscars would dominate the tank and your fronts would be stressed continuously. The oscars would get most of the food as the fronts are a slower swimmer and tend to get the short end of the stick at feeding time when housed with faster more aggressive fish.

dean30bb
06-13-2008, 01:35 PM
alrite then thanks for that ill just have to get a bigger tank when they get bigger