PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 405 and it's effectiveness

Cichlid_Man
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
I have posted before about water clarity but I started this thread to ask anybody out there with a Fluval 405 if they are happy with it?

I have a 75 gallon tank with 13 small cichlids and a pleco and I don't like the water clarity.

It is not even as clear as my 30 gallon with an aqua clear on the back.

I have set up the filter according to specs and it isn't doing the job.
The tank is too close to the wall to add a "hang on back" filter.
Any ideas as to what I can do to improve the effectiveness of the Fluval?

Fishguy2727
12-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Is it a white cloudiness possibly due to the tank being new and still balancing itself out. My 405s keep it crystal clear so I don't know why yours is not.

Cichlid_Man
12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for stopping by.

It is sort of a milky hazy look. Not very bad, but not like my 30 gallon that has only been set up for 3 weeks.

I have the Fluval set up like you told me but there is no change.
I guess maybe the tank is still balancing as you say, but wouldn't that show in the chemistry?

Lady Hobbs
12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Too much gravel cleaning can give you mini set-backs but generally they won't last more than a day or two. Possibly you should just let it sit for a week and see if it clears up for you.

Fishguy2727
12-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Don't base it on the 30, every tank is different and it is too easy to be thrown off just because they aren't all the same. For biological stability you could get the Marineland Bio-Pro 60. They are just the biowheel (very thin, so you should have room) and will allow you to not have to worry about throwing off your biological filtration.

Cichlid_Man
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks Hobbs and Reptileguy.

I think I will let it sit for a while before I make any further purchases, but it is good to know I have an option besides replacing the filter.

I have to also remember that my 30 gallon has a filter that is rated for a 75 gallon and there are only a few swords in there.

The Fluval is rated for what?? 100 gallons?

I have 13 cichlids and a pleco....

We'll see, but thanks to both of you for assistance.

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't really think you have a problem. Your fish load has probably just added more bacteria than your tank was ready for. It'll catch up soon. Got that Stress Zyme around yet? Use some of that and it should balance out in a couple days.

Cichlid_Man
12-06-2006, 02:40 AM
I don't really think you have a problem. Your fish load has probably just added more bacteria than your tank was ready for. It'll catch up soon. Got that Stress Zyme around yet? Use some of that and it should balance out in a couple days.

I'm right on top of it Hobbs :-)

Patience is the key.

I preach it, now I must practice it.

jeffs99dime
12-06-2006, 03:16 PM
you could also add a prefilter to the intake . it will trap the bigger debris before it makes it's way to the "can" very effective