PDA

View Full Version : I got two angel rams

MiamiCuse
06-12-2008, 06:25 PM
from the LFS.

They told me it's one male one female, he says females have pinkish bellies.

Well after doing some reading on the web I think I have two females. They both have black stripes going though her pelvic fins although one is darker than the other. So I think they are both female.

They are small, just an inch, and when my 3" angel swims close to their territory they will go after him.

Also they seem to like to stare at each other and they do head butts and lock lips, is that normal? if I had one male one female will they still do that?

angelcakes
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/angelfishe/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

congrats on new fish:19: :19: :19:

Ryuu
06-12-2008, 08:10 PM
lol awesome little buddies XD never heard of angel rams but yes pics are good

sandy_n
06-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I'd love to see them too. :c3:

Halelorf
06-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Angel rams are just german blue rams selectively breed to have long fins correct?

country_boy454
06-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Angel rams are just german blue rams selectively breed to have long fins correct?

I believe thats all they are.

Incredulous_Ed
06-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Angel rams can aslo to refre to those long fin ones with balloon bellies. Ive seen it both ways.

cocoa_pleco
06-13-2008, 03:19 AM
yep, ive known them to be the long fin ones with round bellies, ive always had bad luck with them

Incredulous_Ed
06-13-2008, 03:21 AM
yep, ive known them to be the long fin ones with round bellies, ive always had bad luck with them
Yeah. The ones Ive seen are juiced up with hormones and stuff, so they dont last too long.

MiamiCuse
06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
what do you mean by "don't last too long"? Is there a way to tell if they are "juiced up"?

Mine do not have long fins, they have the long fin variety but I did not get it. Mine is short and balloon shaped with an exaggerated dorsal fin. I will take pics later and post here.

Incredulous_Ed
06-13-2008, 04:56 PM
IME, some rams from the orient have been raised in high levels of antibiotics, and have had hormones injected to make them more colorful at a young age. So if you see a young blue ram with amazing colors, more than likely he has been "juiced up." Try to avoid those as much as possible.

If you can post a pic I should be able to tell. Just make sure they have excellent water quality and diet and they should be fine.

MiamiCuse
06-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I will try to take pics tomorrow and post them.

I think I have two female. Using the pinned thread on top of this forum by Fishalicious to identify their sex, one of them has the blue dots on the side black markings, so that's a female. The other does not have ANY side black markings, but the pelvic fins have gray stripes so I think that is a female too...I probably will return that one and get a male.

Is that why the two fight a lot with a stand off and pecking at each other? if I get a M and F then they will pair and the fight will stop?

Normally, my 3" angel have his own space, but when feeding, the angel likes to roam around and pick the food from bottom of tank. This one inch ram chases the 3" angel away from his territory. I thought angels are not so wimpy?

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2008, 06:15 AM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/angelfishe/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

congrats on new fish:19: :19: :19:

LOLOLOL

Very cute and very true.

MiamiCuse
06-14-2008, 08:05 AM
One more thing, there seems to be some contradictions on the sex determination.

The pinned thread in this forum indicated that the side black marks if there are blue showing through then it's female.

However, in this link:

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ram-cichlid/13739-sexing-german-blue-rams.html

look at the first picture they showed a pair, both with blue showing through the side black marks...and they said the indication is the female's pink belly.

Guess this is not an exact science yet?

Fishalicious
06-14-2008, 08:40 AM
The blue dots never go through the whole black spot on the side on a male...they can be on the edging but never all the way through like on the female

MiamiCuse
06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
that's what I am confused seems from this picture

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/thatmable/dudefish016.jpg

which they claim to be a pair they both have the blue dots going through the black only the female ones are more pronounced.

My fish has no side black marks so it's impossible to tell...:scry: :scry: :scry:

angelcakes
06-14-2008, 12:49 PM
nice rams................:19: :19:

Ryuu
06-14-2008, 04:23 PM
lol I think those ones are from a website, anyways, so u ment blu rams as angel rams

MiamiCuse
06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
lol I think those ones are from a website, anyways, so u ment blu rams as angel rams

sorry for the confusion, I have what the LFS called "angel rams" but I was hoping they are close enough as far as sexing is concerned. I will post pics soon I took the pics but the SD card reader I left at the office.

Incredulous_Ed
06-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Cant wait for pics!

MiamiCuse
06-15-2008, 02:39 PM
they seem to be chewing up my dward riccia...

Ryuu
06-15-2008, 03:37 PM
sorry for the confusion, I have what the LFS called "angel rams" but I was hoping they are close enough as far as sexing is concerned. I will post pics soon I took the pics but the SD card reader I left at the office.

OHHHHH mmk, sorry ima go on google and go on images

MMK Its bassicly a br or a gbr

MiamiCuse
06-16-2008, 02:15 AM
See the new thread for pics.