PDA

View Full Version : salwater freshwater

jman
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
for average saltwater fish users/ how much more work and time do you end up putting into your tanks compared to a freshwater tank?

Fishguy2727
12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
It depends on the tank. A low stocked, well balanced (efficient protein skinning, LOTS of live rock, etc.) setup of low waste producers (not predators) is actually very little maintenance. You determine how much maintenance it will be by the species you pick and other setup decisions like tank size, filtration, and amount of live rock.

jman
12-07-2006, 01:25 AM
O.K. cool what species seem to give less maintenance.

Fishguy2727
12-07-2006, 03:47 AM
You will want small stuff. I was planning on percula clowns, purple firefish, clown/coral gobies, coral beauty dwarf angel, maybe a couple others. There are tons of good community type fish that would work. Avoid damsels, too big and aggresive. I fyou are considering saltwater, bet The Complete Idiot's Guide to Saltwater Aquariums. Then get TFH's PocketExpert Marine Fishes.

Large tank, lots of live rock (1.5-2 pounds per gallon), high quality protein skimmer, low stocking levels, patience and self control, and you should have a relatively low maintenance saltwater tank.

njn1127
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Saltwater does take more time... but its soooo much more rewarding. I loved my 110 gallon freshwater.... then i started a small saltwater.... needless to say.. the saltwater tank is now the 110 gallon. Get a book on saltwater tanks... and do not be intimidated. Its easy to get confused, there are sooo many different opinions and options when starting a tank. Have a plan and stick with it.