PDA

View Full Version : Cherry barbs

PUNISHER VETTE
06-12-2008, 03:43 AM
I see these cherry barbs at the LFS and some are super red while others are not even close.

If i ever get my tank figured out i might want to get some of these. Would they all eventually gain their red color if eating the better food i would be giving them?

Or are the orangeish ones always going to stay close to that color?

Sounguru
06-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Red ones are males. The bronze ones are your females.

I recommend 2 females to every male. I have 6 in my tank and have had several spawnings, but alas it is a community tanks so the eggs are just extra protien.:18:

Incredulous_Ed
06-12-2008, 04:47 AM
When they get mature, the males become a brilliant red. Diet will also increase this. Females dont come quite as close though.

Tabeguache
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
My cherry barb males are orangish right now. But when they decide to flirt with the girls (chase them relentlessly until they scatter some eggs) they turn a gorgeous bright red. The girls stay a brown/bronze color with touches of red.

Both look great in my tank with lots of plants (fake) and some driftwood.

PUNISHER VETTE
06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Mating would be very cool but i just don't know if that would happen in my tank let alone keeping them alive long enough for it to happen.

Although i love the look of the red i just don't see anything special in the others that aren't red and wouldn't really want them....