PDA

View Full Version : Black moors as cave canarys.

smaug
06-12-2008, 03:40 AM
My wife and I were enjoying some time at the pond this evening ,which by the way has been looking beautiful.I was feeding the fish a little at a time as we talked which is my custom.I noticed my moor [fluffy]was not around so I got closer and looked for him [hes my fav] .I finally saw him making a weak effort at feeding and noticed his beautiful finnage was GONE!I felt sick immediately and got the catch net to look him over,I caught him easily enough and sure enough his fins were shredded and rotted away right to his body.I immediately got out my ammonia test kit and sure enough it was at 1 -2,very bad.I went to my biofilter and on inspection discovered it completely choked with black dead algae.I did a 75% WC immediately and cleaned out the bio tank and media [lava rock] with pond water and added more media.Tomorrow I will catch fluffy again and admit him to my hospital tank.I just hope there is a tomorrow for him.I don't know how this got away from me,but it did.The rest of the fish show no signs of illness,even the butterfly koi with there long fins all seem to be doing ok.Hopefully this was caught in good time and they all owe there lives to poor old fluffy.

invadertoast
06-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Yikes! I hope he pulls through for you and I'm glad you caught it before it turned into a bigger disaster. Good luck!

cocoa_pleco
06-12-2008, 04:04 AM
ouch! that sucks, hope he pulls through

Incredulous_Ed
06-12-2008, 04:46 AM
AMMONIA: Turn the relaxing moment, into a very stressful one.

angelcakes
06-12-2008, 07:07 AM
hope he pulls through.............:ssad:

smaug
06-13-2008, 02:23 AM
I went down to the pond as soon as I got home today.He is still alive and is coming up to eat.The water looks much better but I didnt test it tonight.I was going to catch him and put him in a hospital tank but Im afraid he may be too fragile in his current state.Thanks you all for the well wishes.

Bodhi
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
how did that turn out? Did Fluffy survive?