PDA

View Full Version : Algae Blooms?

invadertoast
06-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Found this pic of my uncle's tank from way back in '00. He used well water and no matter what he did the water always looked like this. The tank was home to three convicts that quickly turned into over a dozen of various sizes. Tank hasn't been set up in several years, but I've always wondered about the algae problem it had.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/P1010008.jpg

Dave66
06-12-2008, 03:34 AM
He had high phosphates in his well water and obviously partial sunlight from a window.
When I say high phosphate, I mean over the .01-.02 ppm natural level.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
06-12-2008, 03:35 AM
yep, like dave said, phosphates are the culprit

invadertoast
06-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks guys - good to know! He's been wanting to set up his tank again for some time now, but he also said he was going to keep his Harley in the kitchen last winter...

He has a new well now but I don't know if that would change anything. He used to keep the tank covered during the day most of the time, but it didn't really help. I'll be sure to tell him what was causing this when I see him this weekend, I know he'd love to know!

cocoa_pleco
06-12-2008, 04:03 AM
some LFS sell a phosphate packet, you just throw it in the tank or filter and it takes down the phosphates, it should help

digital3
06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
A UV Sterilizer would probably keep the green water at bay. I know high Phosphates has always been the general consensus in regards to green water, but Tom Barr seems to challenge that, through his own research. But I'm no expert on it.

If anyone's interested they can go check out thebarrreport.com. It's just something I read on his site.