Just got this in my email:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1687

Dave

cocoa_pleco
06-11-2008, 10:48 PM
thats pretty cool!!

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Oh gez.........there are so many fish yet not discovered and so many great fish we already know about, why try to mess with Mother Nature more. It's like we've stop experimenting with dogs and cats but now are using fish.

Makes me wonder what they do to dogs and cats over there!

This would certainly give a smaller version of the loach.

Red
06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
IMO its pretty cool and pretty sad at the same time.. What happens if someone releases these things out into the wild, it would tare up the whole ecosystem. But its cool like hobbs said that they are smaller and can be kept in smaller tanks.

ladyoutlaw50
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
IMO its pretty cool and pretty sad at the same time.. What happens if someone releases these things out into the wild, it would tare up the whole ecosystem. But its cool like hobbs said that they are smaller and can be kept in smaller tanks.

I agree with you and lady hobbs! But, we also should have known that it was just a matter of time till people starting messing with the fish.

Fishalicious
06-12-2008, 12:20 AM
The air will turn blue if I write down my thoughts on this and I will go down in history for having the most obscene post on this forum... so being the good girl I am <grins>

I agree with Lady Hobbs :c2:

kaoticice
06-12-2008, 12:40 AM
In my understanding, i thought there are already some species of fish that are already a hybrid. apistogramma steel blue is one example i can think of, although they didn't artificially spawn it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Couldn't he just be satisfied with captive breeding of the Clown Loach?!? Goodness knows the environment could use a break like the captive reproduction of some of these fish. I have no issue with the technique, just this stupid application of it.

Dave66
06-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Couldn't he just be satisfied with captive breeding of the Clown Loach?!? Goodness knows the environment could use a break like the captive reproduction of some of these fish. I have no issue with the technique, just this stupid application of it.

Exactly my thoughts, GB, hence the title of the thread. Can not believe he thought it'd be of value to cross breed, when the value is captive breeding the clown loaches.

Dave

country_boy454
06-12-2008, 02:17 AM
thats pretty cool!!

I think they look cool!:19:

Ryuu
06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Lol yeah there pretty cute

donvichu
06-12-2008, 05:52 AM
They are cute......But still not correct mess with nature

Fishalicious
06-12-2008, 05:52 AM
In my understanding, i thought there are already some species of fish that are already a hybrid. apistogramma steel blue is one example i can think of, although they didn't artificially spawn it.

This is why I remove the eggs from my Apistogramma Macmasteri female & Apistogramma Cacatouides male every few weeks ... I am not a fan of hybrids as you can tell. These would never have spawned in nature together. As Aquarists who breed we should try to keep wild strains as pure as possible.

Evil Slimy
06-12-2008, 06:06 AM
[blood parrot cichlids are a hybrid]
I personally have mixed feelings on the subject. Hybridization (http://www.google.com/search?q=natural+hybridization) does happen in nature and the theory is that it's one of the 'engines' of specie evolution so I don't see it being so bad per-se.
It does however really bother me that it's done artificially. If the two species mated on their own in a tank it would not bug me as much, although I would still worry about the long-term consequences for the hybrid individuals and their descendents. Ie. susceptibility to deformities, longevity, etc... especially if they are being introduced into the market.

Mvjnz
06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
As long as these are not released into the wild I see nothing wrong with breeding hybrids. We mix dog breeds to get new looks, so why not fish? the fish don't suffer for it, and most aquarium owners keep fish for themselves, not for the fish, so why not create something new and interesting to look at?

Evil Slimy
06-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Actually the fact that fish don't suffer for it is very debatable. Blood parrot cichlids for example are slow swimmers and unable to really use their mouth to chew because of the deformities.

angelcakes
06-12-2008, 07:00 AM
the clown loach is my favourite fish..........so why are they messing with nature again????

Mvjnz
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah, some of them have problems, but not because they are hybrids. Fancy varities of goldfish also have problems swimming and fighting for food, and they are not hybrids. They are deliberately bred to look that way.

As long as the hybrid is healthy and has no deliberate deformities, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have a problem with deliberately deformed fish, hybrid or not.

Dave66
06-12-2008, 07:21 AM
It has been conclusively determined that fish do indeed feel pain and thus can suffer ill treatment by our hands. Discounting another living creature's discomfort for our entertainment is abhorrent. 'Painted' glass fish, Flowerhorns, 'Glowfish,' Blood Parrots, chemically forced hybridization of loaches . . . what's next? Cross between a guppy and an alligator? As long as it's created in a test tube and produced for our entertainment it's all right, isn't it?

Dave

Gemstone
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Agggg...people messing with genetics...it makes me mad....DONT GO FXING IT IF IT AINT BROKE!!!

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
[blood parrot cichlids are a hybrid]

Exactly and so are many other fish...like the Flowerhorn. I have blood parrots and them being hybrids doesn't bother me as it was two fish that spawned. They were not injected with needles to produce a spawn. It's the methods that deliver torture to the fish that bothers me.

People that think parrots can't swim right and can't eat right don't have them. Mine eat from the surface, the middle of the tank or the bottom. They pulverize the food up somehow and it must be with their throats as I see tiny bits come out of their mouths like with all cichlids when they eat. They can not eat lettuce, cukes and the other things I put in the tank for the Silver Dollars but do fine with pellets, flakes, shrimp pellets, worms, etc.

They also can't bite your other fish. :c1:
As long as the females aren't paired up with other males and sold as something else, having a mutt doesn't bother me and I don't have fry to contend with constantly.

I do like the look of the loach in Daves picture. If there was a way to get this loach from pairing up a clown and this other loach, I would not be bothered with it. The injecting of them is what I'm opposed to.