PDA

View Full Version : The amazing, astonishing, disappearing shrimp!

themusician
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Okay, it's not that amazing. Just annoying. I bought 6 amano shrimp on Saturday and introduced them into my tank. I watched them swim around all day, but on Sunday morning, they were all gone. Not gone, gone...they must be in there. But I have only caught a brief glimpse of one since then. All I can figure is they're hiding in my java moss, but no matter how carefully I look, I can't find them!

So...my hunch is that I need more so I get the chance to see at least a few at a time! What is a good number of shrimp for a lightly stocked 20 gallon tank?

DragonGoby
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Welcome in the wonderful world of the shrimp!:c1:
We spend a lot of time counting our amano, to be sure no one have eat them... At first it was hard but now they're bigger and they're real pig! each time you throw something to eat in the tank, those little rascals jump on the food like they don't eat enough!!!!
I'm not sure about the ratio for a 20 gal tank.... Perhaps you can try to add 4 more, and then end with 10 amano?
But be sure that after a few time, they will appear around lunch time... :hmm3grin2orange:

angelcakes
06-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome in the wonderful world of the shrimp!:c1:
We spend a lot of time counting our amano, to be sure no one have eat them... At first it was hard but now they're bigger and they're real pig! each time you throw something to eat in the tank, those little rascals jump on the food like they don't eat enough!!!!
I'm not sure about the ratio for a 20 gal tank.... Perhaps you can try to add 4 more, and then end with 10 amano?
But be sure that after a few time, they will appear around lunch time... :hmm3grin2orange:
i second that.......funny little guys you look high and low cant find them,you feed them they appear:hmm3grin2orange:

PUNISHER VETTE
06-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I bought 3 for my 110g and in the first week they seemed to always be out. Then i haven't seen more then 1 every now and then since.

Most of the time i can't find them. Doesn't help that they are almost clear. But i also got some cherry shrimp that are a little easier to see...

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Just wait for a month and you'll have 100 unless something eats them.

When I can't find my shrimp, I pick up my java and just hold it over the tank for a second. The buggers start hopping out. LOL