PDA

View Full Version : drip filter

dean30bb
06-11-2008, 08:34 AM
dose any body know how to make a drip filter im planing on making small breeding tanks for my new guppys that im goin to get. the small tanks will be 10inches x10inches so i need to sumhow make a drip filter for them all. theres going to be five possably six of them joined together any ideas would be great

thanks

toddnbecka
06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
All the tanks would need to be hooked up to a central sump system. With all the plumbing involved it would be much easier to use a sponge filter in each tank.

smoochxoxo
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I saw this not to long ago in either a book of mine or on the web but what it was is this...

Tubing that is rigid enough to stay in a "u" and hang over tank, and a plastic flow control valve. I have a plastic air valve for my air pump and it looked like the same thing.

Oh and this will only work if you have a table or something to set the bucket where you will have your fishy in the baggie.

So you get a syphon going on your tube, hang it on the side of your tank and open the valve enough to let it drip into your fishy bag that is in the bucket. Then you would just keep coming back to it to make sure if doesn't overflow out of the bag, (but that is why you have the bucket) and keep removing some of the water out of the bag until you can be sure you have acclimated that fish water to your tank water.

dean30bb
06-12-2008, 02:29 AM
this is a sketch of my original plans on the in flow i was goin to drill a hole in the center at the bottem of each section and place the tube for the inflow into each hole like the drawing shows and silicone each of them on

because the tank its self is made from thick perspex i can drill the holes
in it but i didnt want to because i wanted to see if any body else had some better ideas.

snipers_den
06-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Dean, heres a few sites with a DIY drip filter ... hope it helps you out...

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/bucket-trickle-filter.htm

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_wet_dry.php

smoochxoxo
06-12-2008, 10:52 AM
well that is totally different than I have heard of a drip filter but hey it makes sense!
Gl with building it would love to see it when finished!
Hugs