PDA

View Full Version : Fish and plants in tank.

freshwaterfishlover
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I have never had this problem till recently. My fish keep braking of the leaves off the plants. Yes they eat the plants, but also break them. I just added 1 Banana plant(Warmheart) in the tank and in minutes 2 of the 5 leaves came off and the next day they were all off. Also they keep pulling steems of the Anachoris plants up.

kimmers318
12-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Well, maybe it's easier for them to eat when they break the leaves off! If it is the gourami it may be that "I believe" they like to build bubble nests with bits and pieces of plants, so it could just be part of their natural behavior instincts and if you don't have females for them to attract to their nest it isn't necessary to build it yet.....just thinking ahead in case the perfect girl comes along and they need the floatie pieces to put together the perfect nest.

freshwaterfishlover
12-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Funny you should say that. I have 2 Peral Gouramis and usually only one of them has it's bottom fin open and usually only a little. This morning I turned the light on in the tank and both had their botton fin open fully and it was bright red. The only time they should do that is when they breed.

The tank is somewhat heavily planted. 5 Anachoris Plants, 2 Ludwigia Plants, 2 Cobomba Plants, 1 Amazon sword plant and one Banana plant with no leaves.