PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp

Gemini
06-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Hi All,

I am very interested in getting some cherry shrimp as I have looked at so many pics you all post and they look really cool!
I got a new 22 litre tank with a heater, light and filter system for my birthday and at the moment I have 5 feeding shrimp in there. I want to make a cherry shrimp tank!! But it seems none of the LFS stock them. The one LFS I have developed a relationship with said he could order them for me - they are $7 from his stockist plus GST (10%). He said he would only add $10 to my order for him. But for me to get like 15 shrimp it will be $130!!!! Is it worth it? All the LFS said if I breed them they would buy them as they are often asked for and hard to get. I also looked at the plantetinverts.com site and emailed them but they replied that: "Shipping cost to Australia will be too high to make it worthwhile for cherry shrimp unfortunately." I replied to let me know anyway but what do you all think? Pay heaps for them and breed them? OR give up on the idea?
I got the feeding shrimp just to make sure I can keep them alive!!!! I don't know what type of shrimp they are as they are just sold as feeding shrimp...

houie925
06-10-2008, 05:00 AM
get them from somebody here or on aquabid. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $1 apiece plus shipping

MandyL
06-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Personally I would buy 5 or so and stick them in a 10g by themselves and watch them multiply.

Gemini
06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
get them from somebody here or on aquabid. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $1 apiece plus shipping
Thank you. I tried aquabid and there is one person there who says they ship to Aus so I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Does anyone on here ship to Aus? I know Algenco has them but he can't ship to Aus.

Algenco
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I would be concerned about the hassle getting through Aussie customs.
You check on the Customs regs, and I'll ship to you

Sasquatch
06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Cherry shrimp are more expensice vs. many other shrimps. We pay around 2.50$ per shrimp here in fish stores, ghost shrimp run around 0.99$. 7$ is pretty steep though.

The upside is if you can get them to breed, you can sell them back to the LFS and recup your investment.

troy
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
The shrimp you have now are most likely ghost shrimp.

Gemini
06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks Algenco!!!! I'll check today and see how much of a hassle it would be!:19:
Other than that I found one guy selling them near me for $10 each. The only upside to that is I can pick them up and I know they will be alive when I get them and he only lives about 15mins from me.
At least my partner has agreed that it would be a good idea and is ok with me spending a bit to get a breeding colony set up!:1luvu:

Ficious
07-11-2008, 03:13 AM
i really hope you didnt pay 130 dollars for them:(

Gemini
07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Well I"m getting the Cherry Shrimp!! And it looks like I'll be paying around th $100 mark for aout 15 of them. But I'm happy with that. It's the best price I could find, and I can pick them up, and the place is only about 25 mins away so they have the best chance of survival. What can I say, when I want something I want it!! And if they breed - I can make that $$ back!! I know quite a few ppl on forums that are in Aus and would love some cherry shrimp!!