PDA

View Full Version : todays project..... DIY stand.

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I have 2 dozen rainbow fish coming tomorrow and can't put two dozen fish in a tank all at once without some kind of ammonia spike. My solution is to remove 18 black skirts and then I can add the 24 tomorrow safely.

My problem was I had no stand for my 29 gallon so had to come up with something fast. I run to the hardware and grab 6 cement blocks, I had a 1 inch piece of plywood just the right size already here and had paint already so this deal cost me all of $9.

I do remember that 20 years ago these cement blocks were much lighter than they are now. Wonder what happened.

I will probably eventually plant the thing but for now it will just be a "nothing/no work" tank and will house the black skirts and neons.

Drumachine09
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Looks good!

MandyL
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Looks really nice! LOL at them being heavier now than they used to be... Kind of like my clothes that someone mysteriously keeps shrinking.

ladyoutlaw50
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice Job Lady Hobbs -- that looks very nice!!!:19: :19:

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
It looks quick and it looks cheap. But it's what I had to do for now and since it sits at the end of my hallway, who the heck cares? I might put something around the bottom to enclose it. For now it'll do the job.

Evil Slimy
06-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh I see. Ms. Fancy pants paints hers! ;)
I built something similar in my garage for the 55g. The differences are that I made the legs 2 bricks wide [6 per leg total] (hearthquake country) and I put some 2x4s under the plywood (planning on upgrading to a 90g or larger in the next year).
Seems to work very well so far :)

Billythefish
06-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Tank in the hallway your have to put your next one in the toilet:hmm3grin2orange:
Looks real nice good job:18:

smoochxoxo
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Actually it looks really good for being blocks and a piece of wood. I think since you painted it black it gave the illusion of one piece, kwim? Like a contemporary feel :)
Maybe if you decided to close it in you could figure out a way to make a door to the front with wood and put in a little wire rack so you can store fish items and such that you could have easy access to!
Nice job!
Hugs

Incredulous_Ed
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Looks reaa;y cool. Ive ben conteplating doing that but for multiple 10gal tanks with concrete bricks and 2x4s.

angelcakes
06-10-2008, 04:39 PM
good idea and nicely set up...........:19:

Lady Hobbs
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, a black background is a gotta have!!!!!!! I have a straw background on it now and it's blaaaaaaaaa.......especially next to tan sand. Actually when the flash isn't on the stand, it looks pretty good in my hallway. It's dark enough you can't tell it's even block.

A tank any larger, I would have some 4x2's across the top, tho, for added support. This works fine for this size tank, tho.

Rue
06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks good!:19:

I've noticed that myself...some things, like chocolate bars, seem to get smaller and smaller...

...and other things...like blocks and bricks...get heavier and heavier...

Must be a balance issue...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Something like my 3 days without a cigarette and 30 pounds of hard candy gone?

Augus
06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Looking great Lady Hob.
As for Hearthquake country, I saw somone doing the same set up but with a piece of ply wood in between each layer of brick, I think that would help stable it.

sandy_n
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Cheap and easy...that's the way to go. Looks good Hobbs. :c3:

TorqueWorks
06-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Lady Hobbs,
Where are the pictures? I wanna see.:18: Another way you could stabilize the blocks is use construction adhesive before painting.

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Far from beautiful but it works and sits in a dark hallway so looks better than in the photo! It doesn't even look like block sitting in my hallway but I hope I don't stub my toe!

Sorry about photos. Attaching links don't work for me as things get moved around too much on my web pages.

TorqueWorks
06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting it again. Another way you could stabilize the block is find lumber that would fit tightly down the holes in the center and pack them in tight. Less permanent than construction adhesive.

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
These are cement blocks. They are going no where! Turned me into a heavy weight getting them in here. :) With the wood on top, a cloth can be attached to it if you want to hide a filter of junk underneath it.

You can do something like this for larger tanks by stacking blocks 3 rows high so you have a brace in the center and laying 2x4's on top.

Hey, it's cheap!

TorqueWorks
06-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey, it's cheap!

Cheap is always good!!

Bassinkorea
06-22-2008, 03:37 PM
It does look good : )

I also like the idea that Augus mentioned.....putting some plywood between some layers of blocks, good for extra stability and for some storage shelves!!!

Dave-id
07-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Wow, that actually looks quite good! thumbs2:
Hey, I just had an idea for anybody making stands out of cheap materials like cinder blocks, OSB, etc. Single rolls of wallpaper are dirt cheap! I know most patterns are a little too overbearing to actually coat an entire wall with, but I bet some of them could look extremely nice as stand coverings. Browsing through a hardware store, I noticed they had some pretty cool wallpapers, like assorted marble variations, different colors of woodgrain, fake leather, chrome even. I expect with a bit of foresight, it could be done really well.

Gemstone
07-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Have I ever mentioned...I have a tank in my bathroom.....??..hhehehe....really

Tank in the hallway your have to put your next one in the toilet:hmm3grin2orange:
Looks real nice good job:18:

Billythefish
07-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Wow, that actually looks quite good! thumbs2:
Hey, I just had an idea for anybody making stands out of cheap materials like cinder blocks, OSB, etc. Single rolls of wallpaper are dirt cheap! I know most patterns are a little too overbearing to actually coat an entire wall with, but I bet some of them could look extremely nice as stand coverings. Browsing through a hardware store, I noticed they had some pretty cool wallpapers, like assorted marble variations, different colors of woodgrain, fake leather, chrome even. I expect with a bit of foresight, it could be done really well.
Thats a good idea and hay you could use the sane wallpaper for the tanks backgrownd lol how cool would that look

Billythefish
07-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Have I ever mentioned...I have a tank in my bathroom.....??..hhehehe....really
Shhhh me to ;-)

Dave-id
07-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Haha, my bathroom is missing a wall at the moment - and I am VERY seriously considering building a tank into it... I remember reading about some sort of glass that goes opaque with the application of electricity? That could be wired into the lights in the bathroom, so that whenever somebody is actually in there, nobody could see through.. I think it could be pretty stellar....

xximanoobxx
07-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Can i do that with a 55g? I really dont wanna spend 140 bux for a good stand... What else do i have to add on to make it stronger?