PDA

View Full Version : Help with indentifying frog

Doak6021
06-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I can't get a pic b/c my camera is lame and it has trouble with the 'redness'(rocks/border) of my tank.

What are some common aquatic frogs that one would find in an LFS?

I think he might be a african dwarf frog but he is not as fat as the pics I see online. What are some charactersitics of african dwarf frogs I should look for?

Anyone have any advice on what to do? I plan to make him his own 10 gal and add some more frogs and put a water fall effect in it. In order to do this I need to know what he is so I know what is compatable with him.

angelcakes
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I can't get a pic b/c my camera is lame and it has trouble with the 'redness'(rocks/border) of my tank.

What are some common aquatic frogs that one would find in an LFS?

I think he might be a african dwarf frog but he is not as fat as the pics I see online. What are some charactersitics of african dwarf frogs I should look for?

Anyone have any advice on what to do? I plan to make him his own 10 gal and add some more frogs and put a water fall effect in it. In order to do this I need to know what he is so I know what is compatable with him.
ok you have two types of aquatic frogs the albino xenopus leavis(african long clawed frog) grows big and then you have the dwarf type which is normally brown,'ill describe both for you,

dwarf clawed frog (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
these are the small varieties of aquatic frogs,good to keep with some community fish but not advised with bettas guppys,,best kept in a tank with there own kind,will feed on frozen bloodworm,flake,tubifex and even the odd catfish pellet,grow no more than 2"inches long,remember to keep your tank lid shut and secure,

African Clawed Frog (Xenopus Laevis)
if you come across a plump brown frog and mainly an albino these are the frogs that will grow to the size of your palm,not best kept in a community tank when large as these can cause problems,they eat all sorts of fish eg neons,guppys anything they can fit in there mouth and its big!! will feed on frozen bloodworm (which is there favourite) tubifex,pellets,wafers,flakes and earthworms,the bigger these get the better your tank lid needs to be secure,great characteristics,funny to watch,sexing isnt difficult a male has more pads on his forearms than a female and also has a stump between the back legs,a female has no pads on her forearms and no stump,best kept in a tank with own kind or a tank with bigger fish eg big catfish!

if you need more info im happy to help......ps i know more about the xenopus laevis than the dwarf as ive bread and dealt with them more,
you will need to possibly scrap the idea of a waterfall effect has the frog can crawl up these,10g will be fine,tank temp 26-28C
theres a pic at the bottom of my frog which is an xenopus laevis.......and he has some growing to do!!:19:

Doak6021
06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Yea i've seen the albino ones in my LFS. I am pretty sure I got a dwarf clawed frog. I've had him for 6 months now and he really hasn't grow that much. He has gotten a little longer but I do not see him being as big as the palm of my hand.

As for the waterfall. I plan to make a waterfall inside the aquarium. The top will be sealed. The waterfall will basically just be the return for the filter.

Would two or three dwarf clawed frogs be ok for a 10 gallon?
Basically how many would be ok for a 10 gal. I would only be able to fill it 70% of the way. So 7 gallons of water with a little bit of land to walk on.

I'm not sure if these guys like land at all. Would dwarf clawed frogs appreciate a little bit of land or do they want to be in the water all the time?

troy
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
No, dwarf clawed frogs are completely aquatic. You should be able to keep 4-5 in a 10 gallon.

angelcakes
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
No, dwarf clawed frogs are completely aquatic. You should be able to keep 4-5 in a 10 gallon.
yep totally agree:19: :19:

chuckf
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm think of throwing 2-3 dwarf clawed frogs in my son's 10 gal. It has a lot of Java Fern, 3 danios and two big black sword tails. Will they get along and what do the frogs eat? What should the nutrients be at?

angelcakes
08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm think of throwing 2-3 dwarf clawed frogs in my son's 10 gal. It has a lot of Java Fern, 3 danios and two big black sword tails. Will they get along and what do the frogs eat? What should the nutrients be at?
with sword tails possibly no.......they eat tubifex,bloodworms,flakes,catfish pellets,earthworms,anything they can fit in there mouths:19: