PDA

View Full Version : Help with sexing my Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red

Doak6021
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I recently bought a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Reds and I am unable to tell them apart.

Could anyone provide with some info/PICTURES or both sexes so I can see the differences.

I believe I may I have got ripped off.

Also, what kind of behavior will two males display when crossing paths?

Fishalicious
06-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I posted pics with differences in your other thread:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=23901

Males will shake, blow up all their fins and actively try to bite & attack each other....one will chase the other relentlessly

When mating the male will also shake and blow up all his fins but will not attack the female

Doak6021
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure on the relentless chasing. I see tiger barbs in the store show more aggression. But one does chase the other. Do males chase females as well?

Now this just started. When they get near each other one sorta of bends its body, flares up and slaps its tail in the others face/body. Then a small nip occurs. Too fast to tell who is really nipping who and then they seperate.

I'm about 99% sure I got two males. WOW is this lame.

If the are fairly young will they show this blue fin? Both of mine are about 1inch long.

Fishalicious
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
It does sound by the behavior that you have 2 males - the nipping part is the key... if their was no nipping it could have been mating behavior. Otherwise post foto's of the two and see if we can say for sure.