PDA

View Full Version : My baby piranha

kwhale
06-09-2008, 02:46 AM
I have a tiny 1 cm little piranha which I was keeping in a floating tank in a community tank. As soon as one of my tiger barbs died, I set up a small thank and moved this guy into it to cohabitate with two fan tail gold fish, but the goldies were too large and intimidating for it so I had to use the floating tank again while setting up a divider but this little fella has continued to refuse food. This behavior originally started when in general tank which worried and motivated me to separate the little guy. I today added another baby piranha who is doing good, to encourage the guy didn't help. I have changed half of the water, added aquarium salt and melafix. I also removed the newly add Cryptocoryne wendtii plant which was smelling funny. What is going on?

robnepper
06-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Hi kwhale. In my experience, Piranha are one of the most fragile fish when young. They need great water conditions and lots of places to hide. They are Very easily stressed and some need quite a bit of tie to adjust. As they become older, they do become quite hardy.

I would keep it in a quite place with the lights out for a while and just don't try to feed it for a couple of days. The general rule is about three days of fasting for a new baby piranha.

kwhale
06-09-2008, 03:07 AM
I appreciate the hints. Well, keeping the quality of water hight with these two messy goldies looks almost out of question, but probably will change water regularly every alternating day, if not too stressful.
And during the fasting period, what a bout the new one who is eating good?
please guide.

Drumachine09
06-09-2008, 03:14 AM
How big of a tank is he in?

robnepper
06-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Um... Ok. Goldies are cold water fish. No questions asked. they require the higher o2 levels that cold water offers and they should not be in a heated tank. P's are warm water and won't do well in cold.

I didn't have my P's very long as they way out grew my set up. I was also much younger. I'm sure that someone on this thread will be better able to help than I will.

What are your parameters?

Tank temp, trites, trates, ammo?

Let us know

kwhale
06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
well, I didn't care much about g's so warmed the tank to 30 and gradually lowered to 27 over 2 days. Haven't checked other parameters though. The tank is a small 5 gal, eliite circulatin filter and to cope with oxygen demand that g's consume added air pump attached to active carbon. filter. Having added the melafix, I discontinued the carbon filter as recommended and set the circulation to minimum having read Rob's suggestion on "quiet" milieu.

kwhale
06-09-2008, 03:28 AM
the general tank was at 25 ish. My place if kina hot. So the tank was technically as same temp as goldies had always been. After transferring the P's, I warmed the tank as described above.

Drumachine09
06-09-2008, 04:19 AM
That tank is MUCH to small for even a single goldfish, let alone 2 and a piranha.

Kyle
06-09-2008, 06:01 AM
If your going to keep those you need to look into a good 55 gallon tank at least

donvichu
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
one gold fish needs 20G tank,the tank is much tooo smaller for P however small he is....

Demjor19
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
that is a very poor mix of fish. i would seriously consider most of the advice given above. your main focus should be getting the Redbelly it's own heated tank (either rehome the goldfish, rehome the piranha, or add another tank)...that would be a start. from there you can work on the fish's diet.

kwhale
06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
OMG! I know nothing of my fish.
Thnaks a lot, all of you who guided me. I will quickly swing into action

kwhale
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Just wanted to add that the fish mix was exactly the retailer was keeping and I didn't know much how to modify.

Demjor19
06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Just wanted to add that the fish mix was exactly the retailer was keeping and I didn't know much how to modify.

most fish stores have no idea what they are doing and the goldfish were probably feeders for the piranhas...which would have been torture for the goldfish, since those piranhas are so small.

Kyle
06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
You mean they had pirahna and goldfish together? The goldfish were probably food lol

kwhale
06-10-2008, 01:37 AM
OK, folks, here we go, below is what I have done since last post.
I grabbed a 40 L tank and moved the G's to it. Cleaned up the 5 gal tank throughly, added salt and mamefix and put babies back. Also set up a whisper MicroFilter along with charcoal air filter. Light is dim ; the room light, and Temp is set to 29. They both don't look fine but I have given them all I could. Hope they will recuperate.
More comments/suggestions in the current setup are highly appreciated.

Kyle
06-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Babie(s) do you have more then one baby piranha? 29 is very high for goldfish, that comes to what about 84 degrees thats even high for a piranha. The goldfish shouldnt need a heater depending on your temp there. Getting the filter added is good but both are messy eats and both will need a filter. Not sure about the salt maybe someone else can butt in on that. Id be saving and looking for about a 55 gallon tank (200) liters or so for the goldfish. Good luck!

Demjor19
06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, folks, here we go, below is what I have done since last post.
I grabbed a 40 L tank and moved the G's to it. Cleaned up the 5 gal tank throughly, added salt and mamefix and put babies back. Also set up a whisper MicroFilter along with charcoal air filter. Light is dim ; the room light, and Temp is set to 29. They both don't look fine but I have given them all I could. Hope they will recuperate.
More comments/suggestions in the current setup are highly appreciated.

Melafix may be a little harsh on baby P's. Salt in the correct amounts shoud be benificial to them. What do you mean by "both don't look fine"?

donvichu
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi kwhale. In my experience, Piranha are one of the most fragile fish when young. They need great water conditions and lots of places to hide. They are Very easily stressed and some need quite a bit of tie to adjust. As they become older, they do become quite hardy.

I would keep it in a quite place with the lights out for a while and just don't try to feed it for a couple of days. The general rule is about three days of fasting for a new baby piranha.

You got it bang on...:19: :19: :19:

kwhale
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Temp has been 27 not 29, my mistake. I have 2 P's. In the very first post I gave an account how I had brought in a second one. So guy # 2 is now eating well. Guy # 1, who has not been doing OK, ate a little bit last night. This afternoon it was roaming around but sought back the filter as I came in. The second one has also fringed. Looks like they are afraid of me or something.
Salt amount should be right, about a tablespoon to all 5 gal.
And food: I have been given them cocked or raw chicken breast, beef muscle and liver in tiny pieces, as well as bloodworm and tubifex which except the latest one, they liked'em all.

kwhale
06-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Obviously I was wrong about getting my feet wet with baby piranha. I thought they were sturdy enough to survive in my fresh hands.
Though I have been quite successful with gouramies , oscar and jack dempsies these guys don't look like to be my cup of tea.

kwhale
06-11-2008, 02:48 AM
.... for all my friends
The hunger striker guy has been eating some bloodworm. The second one is just fine and eating more concrete foods like chicken meat too. They both now wander about some more, The only thing is that I notice the first guy ( hunger striker) can't help getting adrift. Does this mean aliment or something.

kwhale
06-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd like to let everyone know that my babies are fine. What I did that eventually helped A LOT was to add some stimulation to the tank. A tetra along with a bunch of feeder guppies have really made piranhas vivid. They can't eat the guppies, of course, but they nip them and I think this raises their spirits. Tetra also got nipped at its tail a little bit, for which I am very happy! because in my doldrum, the nipped tail made me realize piranhas were for food. That's how I got inspired to add guppies, some of them pregnant and giving birth to potential live food. In the meantime, I also toss flakes. The tetras was an idiot's dumb idea in a local pet store whom I asked for a company for piranhas. The hypocritical dumb guy literally talked me to getting two tetras who got nipped at the very first night and one them died the next day. But we are all laughing here:19:

Ryuu
06-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Aw poor guy, and congreats on the little guy

goleafs
06-14-2008, 06:12 PM
What size of tank do you have for your oscars and jack dempseys?

kwhale
06-15-2008, 12:42 AM
What size of tank do you have for your oscars and jack dempseys?
I have no oscar, but planned to have one, if I know it will get along with severum, my the most beloved fish for which I have also planned to have.