PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini

Ellen4God
06-08-2008, 02:53 AM
I put some zucchini in my 10g for my oto to munch on last night, and I've tried to keep an eye on how much it was eating. I think it's finally starting to eat a good bit of it, but it's been about 24 hours since I put it in. Is it bad to leave it in until the morning since he just started to really get into it?

Drip Loop
06-08-2008, 03:00 AM
I have read that 24hr is the limit. The softer it gets, the more mine tend to gravitate towards it. But at the 24hr mark, its time to replace. I usually do them every other day though cause one slice is quite a large meal and its a supplement to the algae.

squirt_12
06-08-2008, 03:09 AM
If they aren't eating the zucchini until it is softer, then you can blanch it before you give it to them. Put it in boiling water for about 30 seconds and it should be fairly soft.

Ellen4God
06-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Would it be okay if I blanched a new piece and put it in tonight then? I didn't blanch it because I read in Dave66's article that you only need to blanch certain ones, and zucchini wasn't in that little list.

squirt_12
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Would it be okay if I blanched a new piece and put it in tonight then? I didn't blanch it because I read in Dave66's article that you only need to blanch certain ones, and zucchini wasn't in that little list.
Oh....I didn't know that. Well then I don't know what to do. I usually feed my plecos cucumbers.

Commodore 64
06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I put some zucchini in my 10g for my oto to munch on last night, and I've tried to keep an eye on how much it was eating. I think it's finally starting to eat a good bit of it, but it's been about 24 hours since I put it in. Is it bad to leave it in until the morning since he just started to really get into it?

I don't think there's any magic in the 24 hour rule. If it takes that long to soften, and following that soak, the fish eat it all, then I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it.

It's not like you are leaving it rot on the tank bottom.

I typically leave cucumbers in till they get eaten and they don't see much action until they've sat in there for about a day.