PDA

View Full Version : Baby snails ate fry

Minderella83
06-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I have some baby mystery snails, I noticed that they had a fry and they were eating it. I thought only time snails ate things was when they were dead. I know this fry was alive about 10 mins before because I saw it swimming. Are you suppose to keep baby snails in separate tank till they get older or why would my snails go after a live fry?

Mindy

Dave66
06-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Mindy, you were right; the snails only eat things that die. Mystery snails are NOT fish eaters. The fry died so they ate it. Mystery snails are by nature algae and detritus eaters; they couldn't catch a live fish if they tried.

Dave

Minderella83
06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks Dave. Just wanted to make sure it would be safe to have them in my livebreeder tank.

Angila
06-10-2008, 12:37 AM
sorry to hear about your fry my snails don't bother my fry even my big snails in fact last night we found 5 babies swiming hiding around the snails lol

Minderella83
06-10-2008, 02:11 AM
I had just found the orange fry and put it in with the other fry I had and the snails. Next time I looked they were eating it. The fry could have just had a culture shock and died and then they ate it. By the way, the snails are all doing good and getting big fast.

Angila
06-10-2008, 02:50 AM
I am glad i hope u r enjoying them more than i am at the moment i got myself in way to deep with all these snails but i can't stop they are so cute and awesome to watch