PDA

View Full Version : New Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red questions??

Doak6021
06-07-2008, 12:02 AM
New Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red
1 male 1 female
Just got them in the mail. They were in the mail for 5 days. Do not know how this is possible but they made it and they look fine.

They are all by themsevles in a 29 gallon. Lots of caves and hiding spots. They will soon have tankmates. I used the drip method to aclimate them to my water and they are exploring around but are being very cautious and scared. They did just travel from florida to maryland with no more than 15 ounces of water in a very small bag.

They are barely an inch long each if that.

Anyone know when I should try to feed them?
Anyone know what I should feed them?

Any suggestions to making their welcoming better?

I did a cycle and these are the params(prior to them arriving) and these aer the params when I added them.
ammonia-0
nitrites-0
nitrates~10
ph~7.2
GH~4
KH~4

kaoticice
06-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Turn lighting off and don't disturb them today..

Try and feed them tomorrow morning instead.

LosC
06-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Feed them something meaty, frozen or live. Hows there breathing? Are they breathing heavy?

Doak6021
06-07-2008, 06:01 AM
No heavy breathing. Starting to swim around a little more, but they get petrified when I walk by.

Thanks everyone.

Ryuu
06-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Well congrats on the new family members

fins_n_fur
06-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm sure they are a bit stressed out from their trip to you...so just give them a few days. They will get used to you walking by the tank and I bet in no time, they'll be begging for food when you go by. Congrats, by the way, on your purchase. They are beautiful fish!

Incredulous_Ed
06-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Obviously, they are stressed. Dont feed them until the next morning or so, when they are a bit more acclimated. Also, if they are by themselves in the tank, they will always be shy. If you add a school of tetras, you will see them much more, because if they see the tetras out, they assume there are n predators around.

DCguy
06-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Apistos can be amazingly hardy if properly shipped. Even after this long I try to feed a small amount of live food as soon as possible. I have had most apistos eating live baby brine within a half hour of being introduced into a new tank. I believe thatthis early feeding of live foods gets them acclimated to a new tank much quicker.

DC

Incredulous_Ed
06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Apistos can be amazingly hardy if properly shipped. Even after this long I try to feed a small amount of live food as soon as possible. I have had most apistos eating live baby brine within a half hour of being introduced into a new tank. I believe thatthis early feeding of live foods gets them acclimated to a new tank much quicker.

DC
I agree, whenever I get new fish their first meal is frozen bloodworms. Then afetr that, just nls.