PDA

View Full Version : How big of a bowl or aquarium should I get?

rebelagent
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
If I start off with golds or two to three fish how big should the bowl or aquarium be. And should I get bigger ones to fit there growing habits?

lpstong
12-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Yes there are specifications as to how large the tank should be to the size of the fish. You dont want to overcrowd the tank. Im not sure about the exact size though. perhaps a 5 gallon tank would be fine for 5 golds?

William
12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
A bigger aquarium is always better. It is easier to clean and keep in good shape. I would recommend a 20 gallong tank if possible.

Goldfish bowls are best avoided as they aren't suited for fish due to their small size and their shape. Their shape causes low oxygen levels in the water and goldfish needs a lot of oxygen.

lpstong
12-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I am just curiuos why would fish stores than sell bowls if they are not suitable for one fish? I guess for profit or for young children who would not take care of a 20 gallon tank I guess.

Madonna
12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
I've read that the rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon. In my opinion you can stertch that rule a bit (as long as the fish seem happy), if you have fish that are smaller in width and height. For example you could keep more Minnows than you could Gouramis because Minnows are typically smaller.

It depends on the fish's preference and general behavior. I know that some people may not agree but it works for me.

Bowls should never be used unless you plan on changing the water everyday and that's not realistic for most people.

Madonna
12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
I am just curiuos why would fish stores than sell bowls if they are not suitable for one fish? I guess for profit or for young children who would not take care of a 20 gallon tank I guess.

They sell them because they're in demand. I don't think it's necessarily about profit, because it wouldn't put a dent in their income if they stopped selling them. They just want to be able to provide as many different products as they can for their customer's.

William
12-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Madonna is right about the rule of thumb and about the impact of different behaviours and fish size. I would however recommend that you keep a little less fish than that if you are a beginner aquarist since more fish will put more stress on the water and make the aquarium harder to maintain.

lpstong
12-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I was just curious about the selling of the bowls if thats not any good for the gold fish , like why would a professional fish store sell them, thats all. It was just out of curiousty.

knifefan
12-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I would concur on the 1" rule to a point. It's good to start off with but as you get more experienced you will have to use common sense on how big of a tank you get. You will want to consider the type of fish you buy with the type of tank you have(e.i. You want to buy an oscar which is common beginner fish. It usually gets up to 12- 15 in but you would want to have it in at least a 55gal tank. Other things to consider are feeding habits like freshwater cudas that need longer tanks since they dart around. As you get more experience with fish keeping you will learn what you need for fish.

fishguy125
11-29-2012, 05:36 AM
They sell them because they're in demand. I don't think it's necessarily about profit, because it wouldn't put a dent in their income if they stopped selling them. They just want to be able to provide as many different products as they can for their customer's.
Fish bowls can create an incredibly sustainable ecosystem; the gravel to water tends to be proportioned to a desired amount. It is true that fish bowls will become extremely anearobic, that is if there are no weekly water changes and it is stocked with only fish. The addition of small plants will help increase the oxygen levels, yet need to be watched diligantly to make sure that they are getting enough nutrients out of the smaller surface area of the substrate. A fish bowl is more ideal for situations such as college dorms, smaller apartments etc. for they need no filtration, and if kept right will only need water changes.

MCHRKiller
11-29-2012, 05:39 AM
This was kind of an epic fail post in 05...muchless 2012 :14:

fishguy125
11-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Wow, lol, did not see that this was posted In 05 :jumpeveryone: