PDA

View Full Version : A mystery

ladyoutlaw50
06-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Hopefully someone can solve this mystery. I have tried to figure out what this guy is -- I have enclosed a couple of pics. He seems to mind his own business -- doesn't bother anyone and just kinda hangs out --he is right there at feeding time and then goes back to the back of the tank and hangs out!! I call him Mr. Mystery

any ideas??
thanks

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-06-2008, 10:57 PM
The body shape appears to put it in the Haplochromis genus but that's about all I can get.

ladyoutlaw50
06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
you are the 2nd one to say that -- having trouble finding anything -- but I bet someone here will figure it out!! :19:
thanks for your input!! I appreciate it

Dixie
06-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Yep the body shape, head, & eye look hap but I'm not real familiar with them.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I couldn't find anything in my Axelrod that matched it. Roughly how long is that fish? There's no real good reference point.

ladyoutlaw50
06-07-2008, 01:10 AM
I couldn't find anything in my Axelrod that matched it. Roughly how long is that fish? There's no real good reference point.

not quite 2" a very pretty blue -- not aggressive at all -- i will try to get a better pic of him sometime this weekend ---he stays to the back of the tank

thanks for the help

Drip Loop
06-07-2008, 01:32 AM
It looks very much like a compriceps (sp) a.k.a Malawi Eye Biter. I could be wrong, just similar looks to me.

Some come colored, others are all silver. So its possible maybe.

Hmmm, looking at it more, the mouths are different. The mystery continues.

ladyoutlaw50
06-07-2008, 01:40 AM
It looks very much like a compriceps (sp) a.k.a Malawi Eye Biter. I could be wrong, just similar looks to me.

Some come colored, others are all silver. So its possible maybe.

Hmmm, looking at it more, the mouths are different. The mystery continues.

I just looked up the malawi eye biter -- it is close -- but really don't think that is what he/she is. You are right the mystery continues -- where is Jauque Cousteau (sp) when you need him -- LOL LOL:laugh1blue:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-07-2008, 02:18 AM
I knew someone would guess that. LOL I'd have put money on it. Dang it, it was payday today too. LOL

ladyoutlaw50
06-07-2008, 02:27 AM
This is a great forum -- so I bet this mystery won't last forever!! tomorrow I will see if i can bribe him with some food and see if he will stay still for a minute LOL

toddnbecka
06-07-2008, 07:30 AM
If the fish is only 2" it still has plenty of growing to do, and the color/pattern will become more distinctive with age. Is the blue color normally visible, or just show in the pics?

ladyoutlaw50
06-07-2008, 01:23 PM
The blue comes out more in the pictures -- but he is a nice blue -- when he first arrived it was almost a silvery blue -- if that helps at all.

ladyoutlaw50
06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Here are a few more pics of him --- he stayed still a bit better --- sorry the pics aren't better quality!!!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-08-2008, 02:17 AM
That last closeup picture helps a lot. I don't think that fish is a Haplochromis at all, it looks more like a member of the Aulonocara genus instead, that would make it a Peacock of some kind. With it still young it's colors may not have come in fully

Dixie
06-10-2008, 12:36 AM
I took this pic also to my cichlid friends and they think it's either S.Fryeri "electric blue hap" or fryeri/aulonocara hybrid but it's kinda young to be sure.

toddnbecka
06-10-2008, 05:27 AM
My fryeri are a little bigger than 2" and the males don't show any blue yet. They do however show some color on the edge of their dorsal fins.