PDA

View Full Version : Feeding bowl?

Iclimb06
06-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I have six zebras and one swordtail in my 29 gallon tank. One of my zebras is significantly smaller than the rest. It is not able to eat the pellets I feed, and is not able to fight for the flakes. I have been feeding pellets first, and then trying to crush up the flakes for it, but it doesn’t always get to them before the other fish. I believe that this has resulted in over feeding of the other fish.
I have a one gallon fish bowl I bought for acclimating new fish. I was thinking making it a home there, and adding an air stone to help out with circulation/O2. I will probably just keep it in there until it grows big enough to eat the pebble food.
Do you guys think it will be ok in a small tank, and alone? (I know they are a schooling fish.) If it would be ok, I was planning on putting a small plastic plant out of my tank in there so it has something to hide behind. Would it be beneficial to put gravel in it, or can I leave it out. I will probably do a daily 50% water change, into and out of my big tank, so rocks may be a nuisance.
Thank you, everyone for your help.

gm72
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I say no. A 1 gallon is too small for any fish IMO. A 2.5 maybe, with a filter and heater as needed.

Ryuu
06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Moving it to a bowl alone will probably be more stressfull then fighting for the food, the only way you could do this is if you brought two danios from the normal tank and put them in the bowl, but I highly recomend a 5 gallon tank, with a filter and heater, they are tropical and just because its once fish, he still deserves the best of care

Iclimb06
06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I was just trying to think of something else I could do for the little guy. I have been babying it for two months now, and it has grown, but not very much. Meanwhile, the other fish have all grown , and a couple are starting to look fat. I am beginning to get concerned that overfeeding may be harmfull to the other fish.
I am planning to get a 10 gallon and move them all into there, beacause I would like to start a new stocking scheme that does not work with the other fish. However, I am wating on the new tank because I will be moving in August, and I am not sure how much room I will have at my new apt.

Ryuu
06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
How big of a tank are they in now? How much smaller is the fish compared to the others, it may be a male, since males seem to sometimes be smaller

fastfly
06-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I say no. A 1 gallon is too small for any fish IMO. A 2.5 maybe, with a filter and heater as needed.

While I agree with you on the bowl size, it is a danio and does NOT need a water heater. Danios thrive between 64-75degrees.

Ryuu
06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes but the normal house temperature in the summer is around 65-70, so if there right by a cool room or an air vent, they will need a heater

fastfly
06-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes but the normal house temperature in the summer is around 65-70, so if there right by a cool room or an air vent, they will need a heater

We are talking about members of the cyprinid family, they would do just fine in a house at 65 degrees.

Iclimb06
06-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Temperature should not be an issue. I am a poor college student, so I keep my thermostat set at 75-80.
As for tank size, they are in a 29 gallon. The fish in question is about 1 inch in length, and very thin. When I first got them, I had four large ones, and four small ones. I thought they might be four females, and four females. Unfortunately, I lost two in a stupid rookie mistake, and buried one when putting in an air disk (I tried to be so careful). Anyways, the other small ones grew, and the other surviving small one, is still smaller than the rest, but significantly larger that the fish in question.
I hope that helps explain things, and thank you for everyone’s input.