PDA

View Full Version : expecting 1st time fry

girlfish
12-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Hi!!! I have had fish before but nothing so exciting before. I have purchased 2 black and 2 white convicts within the past 3 weeks for my 10 gallon tank. I had to remove the 2 white ones, they were getting a beatdown from the 2 black parents , I looked in the tank closer at a shell and to my surprise I saw some small white dots about 100 of them. Come to find out that my fish were getting busy. Now, will the parents eat them or what will happen if I leave them (the parents in the tank with the little fry(s)?

Abbeys_Mom
12-02-2006, 03:03 AM
I haven't had any experience with convicts so I can't help you, but welcome to the forum.

Fishguy2727
12-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Welcome. The parents should not bother the fry, at least for a while. If they hatch and make it (many first timers don't know what they are doing yet so may eat them) you will need to keep an eye on them and read the parents for the best time to remove the fry. If you want to raise them you will need another tank, at least 10 gallons, for the fry to grow out in. However you need to keep in mind that convicts are far from hard to find and most likely at best your LFS may be willing to take some of them off your hands. So you need to be prepared for almost all of them to not be going to good homes. When I bred them I had other fish that would have thinned out the population if I needed it to be done.

girlfish
12-02-2006, 03:16 AM
I haven't had any experience with convicts so I can't help you, but welcome to the forum.
Thank You, all I have to do now is learn how to work in this Aquatic Community.