PDA

View Full Version : Birds!!

NickFish
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I want to get more birds. I currently have a pair of budgies.
Here's what I'm thinking of, and the name of the bird contains a link that shows a pic of that species. So if you don't know what the bird is, just click the name.

I'm thinking either:

3 more Budgies (http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/bird-pictures-breeders-chicks/budgerigar-pictures-breeders-chicks/pictures/budgerigar-0006.jpg)
A Cockatiel (http://www.parrotexpo.com/cockatiel.jpg) or a pair of cockatiels
A Sun Conure (http://z.about.com/d/birds/1/0/D/-/-/-/PC100011.JPG)
or a pair of Lovebirds (http://www.birdcagemarketplace.com/khxc/media/ccp0/cat/lovebirds.jpg)

What do you think?

angelcakes
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
you have lovely birds internet explorer declined to show me the first one :ssad: ive a parrot myself:19:

MandyL
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Hmm are you wanting a hand-tame pet?

Personally I wouldn't get more budgies unless you are just wanting a bunch of pretty birds to look at.

The lovebirds are known for being quite noisy and shrill. If you get 2, it's likely they won't bond to you and won't be very hand-tame.

I have a cockatiel - very tame and personable, I love them.

I don't know much about Conures... But they sure are pretty!

NickFish
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm looking for something that has personality, and that I can handle and play with. I love playing with the conures at my lfs, and my budgies have great personality. Not much experience with the lovebirds or cockatiels though other than what I've researched.

angelcakes
06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm looking for something that has personality, and that I can handle and play with. I love playing with the conures at my lfs, and my budgies have great personality. Not much experience with the lovebirds or cockatiels though other than what I've researched.
something that has personality a minor bird:19:

NickFish
06-05-2008, 08:01 PM
something that has personality a minor bird:19:
LOL, not that much personality!

MandyL
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Cockatiels are a bit quieter and gentler than budgies. They will sit still longer. Mine loves to sit on top of our door (with the door open and screen door closed, but a breeze coming in the window) and get sprayed with water up there. She could stay there for hours. They generally love getting head scratches, but mine doesn't. She actually belongs to a friend (but has stayed with me for a couple years now) so I wasn't able to raise her the way I would like.

Lakea
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I say conure. I have a nanday conure, Scooby, he is a spoil brat and can be a real pain in the buttocks sometimes. He has such a little personality. Much more fun than any pet I have ever owned. I would not go with pairs of anything if you are looking for a bird to bond with you.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3628/scoobkw3.jpg

Drumachine09
06-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Sun Conures are by far my favorite birds. I want one, but it is several hundred per bird, even as a chick.

Thats what I voted for.

crackatinny
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Nick, if you are after something with personality, easy to train and handleable, can I sujest a rainbow lorikeet.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=100681&rendTypeId=4

Don't know the availability where you are or cost, but these birds are real charactors, do a youtube search and you should see some in action, they are nector eaters, but you can buy a specialy prepared lori mix for them, as well as a variety of fruit, and some seed.

Lakea
06-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Maybe you could check out the classifieds or craigslist for birds, there are a lot of birdies out there that need homes. I don't know what experience you have with birds and I myself have never had a budgie or cockatiel so I don't know what they are like. Just know that parrots can be very destructive and get into lots of trouble if they are carefully watched. My scoobers loves to tear up anything his beak can reach and he goes through a lot of toys.

NickFish
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Lol, I've seen those loris before.

You can go to a zoo near me and they sell you little things of nectar, then you walk into the aviary and 20 million loris fly at you trying to get at your little thing of necter. Very funny.

A very good friend of mine breeds parrots for a living. She works at petsmart with me. I'm sure that I could get a nice hand tame anything for a lower price.

The only reason I didn't put nandays up there, is because I have never seen them anywhere near me.

Lakea
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah suns are very popular, I have never seen a nanday in a store. I actually got Scooby from the classifieds and he originally came from a store that specially bred amazons and conures. I actually wanted an amazon, but I quickly fell in love with the conure.

sandy_n
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd shoot for a baby sun conure. Or at least a very young one. If you get an older one, unless it's from someone you know, there's always the possibility it may not have been handled much and could have been left to sit in a cage all the time without much human interaction. Training will be much easier with a younger bird also.

PS I guess this depends on what you're looking for. Do you just want more birds or are you looking for a bird that will bond with you?

sandy_n
06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Lovebirds do not have to be kept in pairs. I've kept them singly and they bonded very well with me. They have tons of attitude. And yes, they can be shrill. I've also had 2 amazons...a Mexican Red Head and a Double Yellow Head.
Out of your choices I'd personally go 1. Conure 2. Cockatiel 3. A single Lovebird.
Good luck with whichever you choose! :c3:

Lakea
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I had a lovebird, he was a sweetheart, loved to interact with me, but hated the hands Hand raised birds are always best. But sandy reminded me, lovebirds may have an unbearable chirp, but a conure's squawk is much worse. I can hear scooby squawking when I am outiside on the other side of the house, he can squawk loud, and it is sharp. I don't know if suns have the same squawk but that'll take some getting used to.

NickFish
06-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I had a lovebird, he was a sweetheart, loved to interact with me, but hated the hands Hand raised birds are always best. But sandy reminded me, lovebirds may have an unbearable chirp, but a conure's squawk is much worse. I can hear scooby squawking when I am outiside on the other side of the house, he can squawk loud, and it is sharp. I don't know if suns have the same squawk but that'll take some getting used to.

LOL, ya. They not quite as quiet as my fish....

Rue
06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Sun conures are beautiful...but are also one of the most rehomed birds. They have a deserved reputation for being VERY LOUD. Unless you and your family can deal with noise - and the neighbours can deal with the noise - and you can deal with complaints from the neighbours - I would not get a sun conure.

If you want a bird you can handle - do not get 3 more budgies. If you have 5 budgies you have a flock. I would love a flock of budgies. Watching the flock dynamics would be wonderful.

Lovebirds are cute. However they tend to be nippy and pugnacious. Probably not the best bet for a hands-on bird.

Cockatiels are the best bet on your list. Get a hand-raised one. They are quiet (esp. the girls) cute, inquisitive, love to be scritched and love to hang out on your shoulder. I can't think of any drawbacks to cockatiels...other than they are not as interactive as some of the larger parrots.

If you want something quiet, small - but more interactive - try a Green-cheek conure. They're personable, very amusing to watch! The worst I can say about them is that they can be nippy - esp. if you don't deal with them properly.

Whatever you get - make SURE you get a large enough cage. Anything sold as a starter cage is TOO SMALL! They should be outlawed! For all intents and purposed you can't get a cage that's too big - but what is critical is the bar-spacing. Little birds need smaller bar spacing so they can't get stuck between the bars and injure themselves.