PDA

View Full Version : Found a rock...

luvfins
06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
I found a nice rock outside that I want to put in my tank....I know I have read somewhere before but I cant remember...How do you test if it is ok to put in? Something to do with vinegar I think lol. Thanks in advance!

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Just pour some vinegar on it and see if it bubbles. If it does, its not safe to put into your tank. Even better is putting muriatic acid on it and see if it bubbles.

angelcakes
06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Just pour some vinegar on it and see if it bubbles. If it does, its not safe to put into your tank. Even better is putting muriatic acid on it and see if it bubbles.
good advice ed:19:

Sasquatch
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
If you've got a nitrite or nitrate test kit hanging around, use that. If you don't, go out and buy one! :14:

One of the solutions in the nitrate/nitrite kits (usually the first) has hydrochloric acid (aka HCl or muriatic acid) in it ... and it even comes in a handy little dropper bottle. :hmm3grin2orange:

If it fizzes or bubbles, it's got carbonates in it and will mess with the water quality of your tank ... so don't add it.

luvfins
06-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Boo, I only have liquid ammonia test right now, I guess that wont work?

So pour a bit of straight vinegar over it, or would it be better to dip it in a dish of vinegar?

smaug
06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Use little drops of vinegar ,alot will hide the effect.Check the rock at many places.If Im not mistaken muratic acid will make most any rock fizz a bit.

luvfins
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Thank you!

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Rinse the rock really well to get any dirt off. Sometimes the dirt will react with the vinegar.

smaug
06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Rinse the rock really well to get any dirt off. Sometimes the dirt will react with the vinegar.
Yes,that too.Good call Ed.

luvfins
06-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok thanks I will scrub it first. Sometime tonight I will get around to it

Sasquatch
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Boo, I only have liquid ammonia test right now, I guess that wont work?

So pour a bit of straight vinegar over it, or would it be better to dip it in a dish of vinegar?

No, the ammonia test won't work.

But you should really get a nitrite and nitrate test kit anyways, it's essential to track the cycle in your aquarium.

Keep us posted.

luvfins
06-06-2008, 01:33 PM
The rock is good :19: Thank you all.
Ya I need to get a test kit....all my tanks are cycled though, even the new one (knock on wood!), I have lots of established filters.
Hopefully I can get this tank finished up today and take some pics :shappy: