PDA

View Full Version : can you keep.........

young_cichlid
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
can you keep 2 firemouths and 4 convicts in a 55g? if not can you give me some suggestions but it must include convicts.

Fishguy2727
06-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Cichlids are never a certain yes or no. Sometimes it works fine (usually if raised together and never fed live food (this decreases aggression)). Other times no matter what you do they decide that no one else is to be in the tank. Other times it lasts until they mature or pair off (which if you have both genders of convicts will happen).

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2008, 05:11 PM
can you keep 2 firemouths and 4 convicts in a 55g? if not can you give me some suggestions but it must include convicts.
Maybe instead of convicts look into Honduran Red Points. They look alot like convicts, but have a different coloring, and are not nearly so aggressive.

Wild Turkey
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Yea thats a little tight for fish that can be aggressive IMO, make sure if you do you get plenty of hiding places and borders for claiming territories

young_cichlid
06-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe instead of convicts look into Honduran Red Points. They look alot like convicts, but have a different coloring, and are not nearly so aggressive.
are Honduran Red Points as easily breed as convicts? because im trying to breed fish as a business.

Fishguy2727
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
You can't breed fish as a business, especially convicts. You can breed them as a hobby and if you are lucky (and really good at it and breed high dollar fish like discus) you may make back a lot of what you spend on the hobby, but definitely no profit. Most shops won't even take convicts if you try and give them to the shop, at least not all of them.

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
are Honduran Red Points as easily breed as convicts? because im trying to breed fish as a business.
Honduran red points are a bit harder to breed, but its not to ohard. PLus shops will be more likely to take them because they are more coorful and less aggressive.

young_cichlid
06-05-2008, 09:11 PM
i can sell my fish on the internet, and do you know of any web sites that sell hrps?

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2008, 09:43 PM
i can sell my fish on the internet, and do you know of any web sites that sell hrps?
Yep, www.aquabid.com. You can get some pretty cheap there, like these: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwmixed&1212953348

toddnbecka
06-06-2008, 04:52 AM
HRP's are becoming nearly as common as convicts on f/s listings. I have 2 extra pairs of young adults I'd be happy to sell. Priority mail shipping, breather bags, and a styro box is $10, add $15 more and you can have the fish too. I'm about 3 hours up the road from Baltimore, so they should arrive pretty quickly.

Wild Turkey
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
You can't breed fish as a business

You sure can! If you couldnt, you wouldnt be able to buy aquarium fish at all! :P

Fishguy2727
06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Unless you are setting up a huge fish farm in Florida or some other tropical area and are breeding in mass and are really good at it and breed something besides convicts you can't. This person sounds like they want to breed some convicts and make some money. I just want to let them know if they want any kind of money return on this they should look beyond convicts.

Incredulous_Ed
06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
YEah, to actualy make serious money you would need fish people are going to pay you alot for, and you would have to have several tanks full of breeding pairs.

young_cichlid
06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
suggestions!!!!! anybody? but it must fit in a 55g. and i know some one who breed fish as business.

Incredulous_Ed
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
suggestions!!!!! anybody? but it must fit in a 55g. and i know some one who breed fish as business.
How about 4 Honduran red points, and 2 fire mouths? Maybe you can up that number a bit, but it sounds safe.

toddnbecka
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
You'll also need several more tanks to grow out fry. Some of the "fancy" pleco's are potentially profitable; since the recent ban on exporting from Brazil breeding groups have skyrocketed in price faster than gasoline. However, they aren't suitable for inexperienced hobbyists. You can figure on spending several hundred $$$ for breeding stock, then raising the fry to a decent size (provided they do spawn).
As for cichlids, you could try some yellow convicts (Cryptoheros nanoluteus). They aren't a common species, and you can count on selling the juvies. They are rather sensitive fish, similar to dwarf cichlids, and require close attention to water quality. Spawns are small, less than 50, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

young_cichlid
06-06-2008, 06:59 PM
ok fine! no convicts but im a beginner and it must be quote n quote easy all right. man!!!!

Incredulous_Ed
06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
ok fine! no convicts but im a beginner and it must be quote n quote easy all right. man!!!!
Oooh, for convicts, Sorry about that. How about 2 pairs of convicts (2 males and 2 females) and a pair of male female firemouths? Make sure that there is plenty of hiding places, as these cichlids can be unpredictable.

Fishguy2727
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Do you have any tanks to growout fry?
What fish have you had before?
What does your friend breed? Paid off what he invested yet?

Some possibilities, depending on your experience level, are: discus, angels, many other types of new world cichlids, high end African cichlids (certain peacocks, etc.), and many others. It sounds like your experience is not quite up to discus or rays, but Peacock cichlids or angels may be good choices.

squirt_12
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Usually when you want to breed a fish it is species only. You also have to have another tank for the fry to grow up in.

toddnbecka
06-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Almost any fish that's easy to spawn isn't going to be worth beans, simply because they're too common. It's all about supply and demand. In the case of convicts, there's way too many of 'em already. Supply is ridiculously greater than demand, best to use convict fry are used for feeders.

young_cichlid
06-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Do you have any tanks to growout fry?
What fish have you had before?
What does your friend breed? Paid off what he invested yet?

Some possibilities, depending on your experience level, are: discus, angels, many other types of new world cichlids, high end African cichlids (certain peacocks, etc.), and many others. It sounds like your experience is not quite up to discus or rays, but Peacock cichlids or angels may be good choices.
im a 2 years beginner and trying to learn the ropes. tanks for the fry not yet. i've onwed goldfish bettas bluegills guppies piticus cats and pelcos. my friend bred guppies don't no if it paid off.

young_cichlid
06-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Almost any fish that's easy to spawn isn't going to be worth beans, simply because they're too common. It's all about supply and demand. In the case of convicts, there's way too many of 'em already. Supply is ridiculously greater than demand, best to use convict fry are used for feeders.
yeah well get this i still can't find a store online or off that sells convicts.

toddnbecka
06-08-2008, 02:38 AM
Here you go, convicts of any color you prefer:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidc

young_cichlid
06-08-2008, 03:51 AM
thank you toddnbecka!!!!