PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if your dog is blind? Sick dog

LosC
06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
My Mom has an older Shih-Tzu, 12 or 13 years old I believe. He's stopped eating and become very inactive, and I'm talkin inactive all day just laying down. He's been showing these symptoms for a week now. $800 in vet payments later... still no confirmation on what exactly is wrong with him. Our original vet did x-rays and bloodwork, and everything came up good except for a slightly larger than normal prostate (which explains his sudden urinating problem). The hospital vet ( a more experienced vet) says it's something in his brain causing this. We had him in the hospital over night to get some iv fluid in him since he wasn't eating anymore. My mom would get him to eat but he would puke it out. So now hes on meds and not getting much better. He's a little more alert now but still just laying all day barely moving at all.

I took him out today and he fell off the picnic table I had him on, luckily he hit the grass. This is why I'm wondering if he's blind. He becomes alert when I call him but it seems like he doesn't know where to go. Can anyone help?

Mvjnz
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
He's pretty old for a small dog. Could be he's just getting old and doesn't have long to live. Getting skinny is a pretty sure sign of ageing.

If he's blind, it might also affect his mood, making him eat less. It would be pretty easy to tell if he's blind. He'll be walking into stuff and won't make eye contact with you. I suggest having the vet look at his eyes, then you'll know for sure.

ladyoutlaw50
06-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your mom's dog!!

angelcakes
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
im sorry for your mums dog :ssad: :ssad: but i think it may just be age 12-13 is a good age for a dog

MeganL3985
06-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Most dogs over the age of 12 lose most of their eye sight. Not all are blind but there will be loss at that age. My parents dog is a 13 yr old westie, he's pretty inactive also.

sandy_n
06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Here is an article that you may like to read about a form of Alzheimer's in dogs.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25417.asp

Wild Turkey
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes, dogs deteriorate in much the same way as humans and experience much the same problems you would expect to see in someone who was very old. Urinary problems, loss of sight, hearing, hip displacia, arthritis and the list goes on. If you want to see if hes blind its pretty easy, call him over and make a motion like you are going to flick him in the eye (dont actually do it) and if he blinks hes not blind. If you use ur whole hand for this he may feel the wind from ur hand and so it will be harder to tell. Im sorry to hear hes going downhill, but on the bright side 13 is pretty impressive for such a small dog. GL

Rue
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
In this instance you really should be asking the vet for advice, not the members of a fish forum.

Elderly dogs needs special attention...eyesight, teeth, diet, etc. Take the dog in to see what's up and what's needed to make his 'golden years' more comfortable.

Wild Turkey
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I think RG is just looking for some outside opinions, never hurts these days when you cant really trust doctors or vets word on anything, im sure thats why hes already seen 2, and been to the hospital.

LosC
06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Rue, you are making it seem as though we are not giving our dog the care and attention he needs.

All together my Mom has spent nearly $1000 on 3 different Vets and none have been able to tell us what is wrong with him. We've raised him on quality dog foods and he rarely got human food. He's always been up to date on shots. I think he should live longer, I've seen small dogs live 15-17 years. A few people have told me he could've had a stroke but shouldn't the Vets have picked up on that?

At this point, he's getting thinner, not getting any better and completely lethargic. I can't even get him to walk. I will be talking to my Mom about putting him down, most likely tomorrow. It will be a sad day, he's been in our life for too long.

graceluvsplatys
06-05-2008, 10:36 PM
actually, shih tzu are long lived dogs. small dogs live up to 5 years longer than some big dogs.
Yeah, I agree that dogs get inactive as they getbolder, like people do. maybe he has doggiwe rheumatism. Look for disorientation, and being startled at slight noises. Shih tsu are prone to eye and nose problems because of their squishd faces. I would moniter his behavior, and give him lots of love. Dont put j=him down unless he is in serouis terminal pain

dogs are my forte