PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red questions??

Doak6021
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a pair(m&f) of Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red on the way in the mail and I was wondering if anyone with "Apisto" experience could give me some advice.

They will be kept in a 29 gallon tank with plenty of caves/cover for them. I just finished a fishless cycle and my pH is at 7.0.
Deff tankmates: 1 more female apisto, 2-3 Angels, 2-3 GBR, 1-2 corys.
Anyone have any advice on which way those numbers should go?
Would I be at my limit or could I add a few more fish?

Is there anything i should watch out for with the Apistos or the GBR b/c they are new fish to me?

Incredulous_Ed
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Just forget the angels. There is no room for them, lol.

Soo a trio of cacatuoides, and maybe a apir of rams. Then you will need a mid water schooling fish because it makes the cichlids feel more secure. Pencil fish are great for this. So maybe about 10-20 of them. Then about 8 or so cories for the bottom.

country_boy454
06-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Ed seems to have nailed this one on the head. I wouldn't do the angels either.

LosC
06-04-2008, 05:47 AM
I may be doing a special order with a LFS next week and I was wondering how to sex young A. Cacatuoides. Should I aim for 2 females for my 20g?

Fishalicious
06-04-2008, 07:12 AM
The male has longer elongated top fins (the front 3 spikes are longer and spikier) - bottom fins are usually one color (usually blue)

In females the top fins are rounded and the front top fins are less predominant...they also have a black stripe on the front of their bottom fins (this is the easiest way to sex quickly)

Males can show coloration throughout the whole of the top fins and the females usually only on the tips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/sexapistofemale.jpg

Hope this helps

Actually 2 females would probably fight more than if you take 1 male and 1 female in a 20G

LosC
06-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Sure does help. I'll be printing the pic for reference, ofcourse with your permission.

country_boy454
06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
The male has longer elongated top fins (the front 3 spikes are longer and spikier) - bottom fins are usually one color (usually blue)

In females the top fins are rounded and the front top fins are less predominant...they also have a black stripe on the front of their bottom fins (this is the easiest way to sex quickly)

Males can show coloration throughout the whole of the top fins and the females usually only on the tips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/sexapistofemale.jpg

Hope this helps

Actually 2 females would probably fight more than if you take 1 male and 1 female in a 20G

Is this true on all apistos?

Fishalicious
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Yip it applies to all apistogramma sorts - the females of course are also smaller & have more of a yellow coloring but in the LFS tanks males can also take on the yellow coloring to mask their sex so they are not attacked by bigger males....so the finnage is the easiest.... really take your time looking at the top fins for the jagged or rounded tips and the tell-tale black striping on the bottom fins

EDIT: I have added the male foto to the female above

country_boy454
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Well I am going to take a second look at my apistos I have currently. I beleive my gibbicep is female but may be wrong! This is very helpful thnx!

Fishalicious
06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Oooopsie couldn't edit the previous post so here is the little guy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Cutsie1/MaleCacatouidescopy.jpg