PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows are coming

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2008, 06:17 AM
I have a dozen turquoise (Melanotaenia lacustris) and a dozen boesemani's (M. boesemani) heading my way to add to the 6 unidentified bows I got at PetSmart a couple weeks ago. Those were only listed as Australian rainbows but aren't they all? I think they are M. Australis but not definate yet. I do have about 50 fry from them already.

In addition, I will have some M. Maccullochi in a couple weeks when they grow a bit more. I finally will have my bow tank!

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Australis.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Boesemani.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Lacust.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Maccull.htm

These are NOT my fish. But here are some pictures of those I will have.

Dave66
06-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Hobbsy,
Finished up my 220 planted rainbowfish tank some months ago. They are great, beautiful, active fish. You'll really dig them when the all grow and color up. There are species rainbowfish in the hobby that come from both Australia and New Guinea, so they actually aren't all from just Australia. New Guinea has species Australia lacks, and vice versa.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Great! Just as I am getting all excited you burst my bubble by telling me you have yours in a 220 gallon! wahhhhhhhhh

LOLOL They really are neat looking fish. I think of the ones I'm getting, the Macculochi is the neatest looking. Those fins all tipped in red look like lace.

Drumachine09
06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Bout time you got your bow tank!

Are rainbows aggressive fish? I had one in with a mix of other fish back before I knew squat about aquariums, and it was pretty cool.

Dave66
06-03-2008, 06:38 AM
They are when you keep them alone, in pairs or trios, Drum. It's so unnatural to them, they get so nervous they have spurts of high aggression. Hobbs has her orders right, with dozens of fish of her species.

Dave

Dave66
06-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Great! Just as I am getting all excited you burst my bubble by telling me you have yours in a 220 gallon! wahhhhhhhhh

LOLOL They really are neat looking fish. I think of the ones I'm getting, the Macculochi is the neatest looking. Those fins all tipped in red look like lace.

Hobbsy,
Have to have the size because I keep 42 Glossolepis incisus, and the males reach six inches each. Keep them with a bunch Melanotaenia praecox and four dozen Iriatherina werneri. Bunch of Botia haunt the bottom realm
Remembered your Boseman's are from New Guinea, not Australia.

Dave

Fishalicious
06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
All I can say is ABOUT TIME TOO!!!!!! LOL LOL
You are going to love em - love em - love em <-- your going to love them so much had to put it down 3 times ;)

Really looking forward to piccies :19: :19:

Drumachine09
06-03-2008, 08:26 AM
All this talk about rainbows is making me want to do them in my 240 when i get it moved to the basement.

Red
06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow i love rainbows i have a group of 6 bosems before i traded them away :/

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Why did you trade them if you loved them? LOL

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Hobbsy,
Have to have the size because I keep 42 Glossolepis incisus, and the males reach six inches each. Keep them with a bunch Melanotaenia praecox and four dozen Iriatherina werneri. Bunch of Botia haunt the bottom realm
Remembered your Boseman's are from New Guinea, not Australia.

Dave

Hoping because they are all Melanotaenia that they will be OK but if not, those will have to be kept with my tetra's.

Ellen4God
06-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I've always thought rainbowfish were pretty! Can't wait to see pictures. :)

MelonMan
06-07-2008, 07:43 AM
rainbows are my favourite fish. i have two baby murray river rainbows and they are not aggressive at all so far. my uncle has 6 tanks of rainbows atm and hes breeding most of them. lake kitubu rainbows are great and so are the salmon reds just love all of them and cant wait to set up a tank for them. do you think a 3ft will provide enough swimming room for them.

Dave66
06-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Hoping because they are all Melanotaenia that they will be OK but if not, those will have to be kept with my tetra's.

Hobbsy,
Aussie and New Guinea rainbows can be kept in the same tank, as long as they are in schools of their fellows.

Dave66
06-07-2008, 08:50 AM
rainbows are my favourite fish. i have two baby murray river rainbows and they are not aggressive at all so far. my uncle has 6 tanks of rainbows atm and hes breeding most of them. lake kitubu rainbows are great and so are the salmon reds just love all of them and cant wait to set up a tank for them. do you think a 3ft will provide enough swimming room for them.

Short answer, no. The salmon red (Glossolepis incisus) males grow to six inches, the females about an inch less. The males are heavy-bodied fish and thus need a much larger aquarium than a 3 footer. They also need to be kept in groups of their fellows.
Neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox) top out at two inches, so you could keep a group of up to 12 of them in your three-foot tank. Rainbowfish need planted tanks to feel secure, so keep that in mind.

Dave

MelonMan
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Short answer, no. The salmon red (Glossolepis incisus) males grow to six inches, the females about an inch less. The males are heavy-bodied fish and thus need a much larger aquarium than a 3 footer. They also need to be kept in groups of their fellows.
Neon rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox) top out at two inches, so you could keep a group of up to 12 of them in your three-foot tank. Rainbowfish need planted tanks to feel secure, so keep that in mind.

Dave

Sorry dave I didnt really say my question very well. I wasnt asking if those particular types of rainbows were good for a 3ft I was asking about the smaller types(which i should have told you lol). i was thinking about the smaller types like neons, furcatus, celebes and so on sorry for the misunderstanding. i might do some neon and furcatus rainbows with 10-12 julli corydoras and about 8 of each rainbow

country_boy454
06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
The tank will look stunning Lady Hobbs! Can't wait for the pics!