PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shrimp??

squirt_12
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a tank that I would really like to make a shrimp tank but I am not sure if I can for a few reasons.

It is my 10g plant grow out tank.
The tank stays at around 70-76F
I am running a DIY CO2
I add flourapride liquid ferts
and it is a natural tank...meaning no filtration. I find that the plants have been growing alot better since I have had no filtration.
Right now the tank is about semi-heavily planted and I trim the plants and plant them again and move some around. Would that be bad for shrimp??

I think that it would be really cool to have shrimp but I am not sure if I am able to with these conditions.
If I can keep shrimp...what kinds??

Tolley
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
hmm im no expert but maybe if you could add a sponge filter? it would be easy to hide with your plants.

are you having any fish in the tank? if so what?

i like these to
amano shrimp (2")
cherry shrimp (1")

both awesome aslong as you have no big fish i'd go with the cherries because they're awesome as ive mentioned lol and will breed!

squirt_12
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
hmm im no expert but maybe if you could add a sponge filter? it would be easy to hide with your plants.

are you having any fish in the tank? if so what?

i like these to
amano shrimp (2")
cherry shrimp (1")

both awesome aslong as you have no big fish i'd go with the cherries because they're awesome as ive mentioned lol and will breed!
Thanks for bringing the fish up...I forgot. I have about 10ish snails (3 different kinds.lol.) and about 5-6 feeder guppies in the tank just to keep the bacteria alive but I can easily take them out.
Would I HAVE to have a filter for shrimp?? I can get one but I don't want to diffuse out to much CO2.
My main concern is to my temperature. I don't know if that is enough or not but I have found that with the lower temperature my plants have been growing way better than when it was at 78-80F.
I am thinking the cherry shrimp as I have kept amano shrimp and they aren't very colourful and wont have babies (forget the correct term for shrimp babies) in FW.

Tolley
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
im not sure you'll have to wait for some shrimp/filtration/plant expert to answer for that sorry!

The lower temperature is better for the shrimp. They dont like it near 80.

Ofcourse now were back to another thread of what fish with cherry shrimp. ;)
Now I wouldn't put any fish that can get bigger than 1" with cherry shrimp babies(i too have forggotten it :))

Tolley
06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
if no replies to this thread about the filtration you could pm Jess im sure she would be happy to help.

have g2g now sorry.

Algenco
06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I think shrimp would be ok in the tank as is

squirt_12
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I think shrimp would be ok in the tank as is
Ok. Sounds good. I didn't know if with the no filtration if it would be ok for shrimp or not. I do weekly water changes and all.
Ok so I might get some shrimp. I am not 100% sure what kind I want yet. But I am thinking maybe cherry but I am not sure.

Algenco
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
My only concern would be the ferts, some are not compatible with shrimp, start with 5-6 and see how they do

troy
06-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't get ghost shrimp because they might eat the feeder guppies.

squirt_12
06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Don't get ghost shrimp because they might eat the feeder guppies.
um...ghost shrimp wont eat feeder guppies. Feeder guppies are bigger than ghost shrimp and the shrimp will eat algae and stuff so i don't think I will have to worry and I have 2 shrimp in my brackish tank with about 50-80 feeder guppies and they don't eat them.

troy
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I saw it happen once, but it must be rare. Heres a link with information about them eating small fish.http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food,%20Ghost%20Shrimp.htm

MandyL
06-03-2008, 10:37 PM
um...ghost shrimp wont eat feeder guppies. Feeder guppies are bigger than ghost shrimp and the shrimp will eat algae and stuff so i don't think I will have to worry and I have 2 shrimp in my brackish tank with about 50-80 feeder guppies and they don't eat them.

Just be aware that ghost shrimp aren't great at eating algae. If they can find any other food they will just eat that and leave the algae alone. Cherries or Amanos will eat the algae for you.