PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Vegetables

1Brotherbill
06-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I have read on different sites that Pleco's like fresh vegetables from time to time. I have never gotten them to eat anything outside of an algae tablet. I have tried Zuchini and Lettuce leaves but they just don't care about it either way. Is this odd or do Pleco's like vegetation outside of Algae?

LosC
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I think it all depends on the Pleco itself. I have a rubbernose that won't eat the vegetables I give it but then there's people who hav Rubbernoses that eat all kinds of veggies.

smaug
06-02-2008, 02:19 AM
I have never given veggies such as that to mine.I have fed them peas and they love it.I have heard people mention blanching the veggies first,maybe that makes them softer and more pallatable?

ladyoutlaw50
06-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I have a common pleco in with some african cichlids -- I give them treats of peas and what they don't finish up -- he takes care of -- same with romain lettuce. Have not put anything else in there.

1Brotherbill
06-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I never thought of Peas. Might have to give that a try. Supposedly my turtle is suppose to snack on veggies from time to time as well but I have never gotten her to eat anything outside of the store bought food and an occasional guppy.

doug z
06-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Lettuce (preferably anything BUT iceburg lettuce) you should blanch before putting in the tank..

Have you tried spinach?

angelcakes
06-02-2008, 06:47 AM
i use cucumber.........my pleco loves it:19:

smcurry83
06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I have two common plecos in an mbuna tank. They all (everyone in the tank) love peas, cucumber and zucini. I haven't tried lettuce yet. By the way, what is blanching???

Algenco
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I have two common plecos in an mbuna tank. They all (everyone in the tank) love peas, cucumber and zucini. I haven't tried lettuce yet. By the way, what is blanching???

drop it in boiling water for a couple minutes

KingFisher
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM
My common Pleco likes to eat raw Zucchini, but he sometimes doesn't get to it unless I leave it in the tank overnight. When I check in the morning, I notice that it has been partially eaten, and then he will occasionally return to it throughout the day.

donvichu
06-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Somehow my pleco seems to be happy to eat reminder of beefheart and arowana pellets that sink down,is it alright or should I give him a different diet?

Algenco
06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
A lot of "plecos" only eat algae as juveniles and become meat eaters as adults

Lady Hobbs
06-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I feel bad for my featherfins because I don't see them eat anything but blood worms now and then and algae waffers. I have tried them numerous times on blanched spinach, romane lettuce, cukes, squash.........I think they spend too much time getting fattened up on flake food I'm giving the silver dollars. Their growth is far from stunted!

smaug
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Somehow my pleco seems to be happy to eat reminder of beefheart and arowana pellets that sink down,is it alright or should I give him a different diet?
My sailfin leopard is very much a meat eater as well as plant matter.

angelcakes
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
My sailfin leopard is very much a meat eater as well as plant matter.
same as my pleco he loves his meat............aswell as plants:19:

smcurry83
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not an expert, this is just a thought of mine, but wouldn't blanching the vegetables take out most of the nutrients???

1Brotherbill
06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
I also heard that if you give them veggi's with a hard rind you should slice the rind so it doesn't get caught on there gills.

I also heard if you microwave the veggi's for a few seconds they become softer. Does this work the same as blanching?

donvichu
06-03-2008, 03:09 AM
I'm not an expert, this is just a thought of mine, but wouldn't blanching the vegetables take out most of the nutrients???

Blanching does take out 80% nutrient out of it,sad:c2:

smcurry83
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
That's what I thought. So all I do is peel cucmber and zucini. The peas just go in as is...

fastfly
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
While boiling veggies does take out nutrients blanching does not change the nutrient contents by a whole lot and sometimes not at all.

You only put the veggies in boiling water for a extremely short period and then dunking the veggies in ice water.

Dave66
06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
drop it in boiling water for a couple minutes

Until al dente, Algenco. You don't want them to boil them to mushy.

Dave

Algenco
06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Until al dente, Algenco. You don't want them to boil them to mushy.

Dave

What I found with my bristelnose , I place 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce in about 3 cups water, microwave for 3 minutes.
If I only cook for 2 minutes they will not touch it for 24 hrs, at a 3 minute cook they are on it within minutes.

johnl
06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I have a Snow King Plec, a BN, and a Clown plec and they all love veggies. I feed them lettuce (no iceberg), Zucchini, mushrooms, melon, cucumber, and peppers. The veggies are placed in the tank at lights out and stay in overnight. I don't blanch them but I do remove the seeds. I think you will find that most plecos will eat veggies and it is an important part of their diet as most are omnivorous.

Bassinkorea
06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Most of the time I will have 1, 2 or 3 crawfish in my tank and I will cut some ham into tiny cubes for them. Then I found out that my pleco LOVES ham. He picks up the cubes of ham and rolls them around in his mouth.

I'll have to try some veggies!!

Bassinkorea
06-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I've just tried putting some ham and cucumber in my tank for my pleco. The cucumber just floats on the top and my pleco can't find it. I seen a photo somewhere around here of somebodies pleco eating cucumber on the botttom of the tank.

How do I get the cucumber to sink to the bottom ??

The ham went straight to the bottom and he has been eating it....he loves ham.

Dave66
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I've just tried putting some ham and cucumber in my tank for my pleco. The cucumber just floats on the top and my pleco can't find it. I seen a photo somewhere around here of somebodies pleco eating cucumber on the botttom of the tank.

How do I get the cucumber to sink to the bottom ??

The ham went straight to the bottom and he has been eating it....he loves ham.

You can spear the cucumber with a clean teaspoon to sink it, or use this (http://www.screwcumber.com/), which is a better idea.

Dave

Bassinkorea
06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
You can spear the cucumber with a clean teaspoon to sink it, or use this (http://www.screwcumber.com/), which is a better idea.

Dave

Thanks Dave. That screw thing looks cool, but it won't be easy to find one of them in Korea.....I'll give the teaspoon idea a try :thumb:

Dave66
06-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks Dave. That screw thing looks cool, but it won't be easy to find one of them in Korea.....I'll give the teaspoon idea a try :thumb:

They ship internationally, just so you know. I'm in the USA, and they sent them here, so I'd assume they would to you in Korea.

Dave

Bassinkorea
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
They ship internationally, just so you know. I'm in the USA, and they sent them here, so I'd assume they would to you in Korea.

Dave

I have just ordered some from their site. Korea is not on their list of shipping countries, but I have made a payment through paypal so they will get back to me if there's any problems.

Thanks again Dave :ezpi_wink1: