PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water Plants

rebelagent
12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I dont like fake plants. Can anyone suggest good freshwater plans for a small aqaurium? I've got about 6 fish in there. the pebbles and a rock...kinda bland. Someone liven up my tank.

nick_cave
12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
There are some good plants i've used over the years:
Anubias nana, needs good substract so i use it poted, very hardy, with low ligth requirement.
Microsorium (Java Fern), hardy, dont need substract, can be atached to bog wood, rocks, and plain pebbles, just dont burry it too deep, because it can rotten.
Vesicularia (Java moss), hardy and nice to help fry escape their predators. can use it floating, atached to rocks, or planted (just slightly burried). Needs medium / high ligth, but survives low ligth also.
Lemna (Duckweed), hardy, floating plant, neds a lot of ligth, and doesnt, like humidity in air, need to have an air flow under the tank lid to keep dry air above.
I use a lot more but these are th main core. All hardy, so i didn't have to wory a lot.

RedDmon
03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
There are some good plants i've used over the years:
Anubias nana, needs good substract so i use it poted, very hardy, with low ligth requirement.
Microsorium (Java Fern), hardy, dont need substract, can be atached to bog wood, rocks, and plain pebbles, just dont burry it too deep, because it can rotten.
Vesicularia (Java moss), hardy and nice to help fry escape their predators. can use it floating, atached to rocks, or planted (just slightly burried). Needs medium / high ligth, but survives low ligth also.
Lemna (Duckweed), hardy, floating plant, neds a lot of ligth, and doesnt, like humidity in air, need to have an air flow under the tank lid to keep dry air above.
I use a lot more but these are th main core. All hardy, so i didn't have to wory a lot.You mentioned Java Fern, I keep reading about attaching them to rocks or drift wood. Can anyone explain exactly how you go about attaching the plant to these things? After time the roots will do the job, but how do you start them off???

William
03-17-2006, 03:04 AM
There are a number of ways. You can for example tie them to the root using fishing line or attache them using rubber bands.

You can use almost any method you like as ling as you don't introduce anything that is harmfull to the fish into the aquarium.