PDA

View Full Version : Normal? (Nigerian killie)

Mvjnz
06-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I bought 2 male Nigerian killies yesterday. They both looked perfectly healthy in the store. I took them home and put them in the tank. Today one of them looks fine, while the other is hiding and has lost his colour completely. He's a bluish hue, and nearly see through. Is this normal while they're settling in or is something wrong with him? He seems to be eating normally.

Ryuu
06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
If he is eating normally, he will be fine, like most fish, killies dont like a change of enviroment, and they sulk by themselves for a few days then they get braver and eventually they feel at home

Mvjnz
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Ok, I'll give it a few more days then. thanks:)

jules
06-02-2008, 03:48 PM
He'll probably stay pale. When you have two males you have a power struggle. By muting his colours he is acknowledging that the other male is dominant, and showing that he is no challenge, and not worth harrassing.

When the dominant male is moved, the subservient male will soon colour up again. In the dealers tank there were probably more fish - most likely a few brighly coloured, some partially muted, and some very pale - almost looking like females

Mvjnz
06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Actually he has regained his colour. They are very young and the other one still doesn't have his proper colours. I think they are different strains tho. The one that was pale is much darker and bluish, while the other one is clearly yellow.

He seems to be fine now tho, he was prolly just sulking:)