PDA

View Full Version : Changing stocking list~!

kaoticice
06-01-2008, 12:19 PM
So here it is guys, i once again change my stocking plans for my 40 gallon (3ft) tank. Hope this will be my last change. Due to the persuasion i got from a friend on keeping apistogrammas, i decided that I wanted to set up a dwarf SA community tank
Background:
The tank is a medium planted tank (mostly java moss and fern), with driftwoods and rocks scattered around. It's powered by aquaclear110, aquaclear 70 and possibly another aquaclear 20 if needed depending on stocking levels.
My current list are:
1x Albino BN
8x corydoras (panda hopefully)
2 pairs of a different apistogramma species or same species? or bachelor tank, with 6-7 males
and maybe some schooling fish as a dither, any recommendation of any suitable species?
1) Due to their hard nature of sexing and partnering, I've decided to go for trios, maybe 6 altogether (2 males and 4 females)? I have a free 10 gallon for back-up if the other females are driven too harshly in the main tank.
2) How often do these guys breed?
3) would the filter be to strong for the fry (if any)? probably sucked in the filter intake. any advice here?
4) I've heard that they go on a berserk mode once they breed, is it necessary to take the fry out of the tank?
Thank you guys
Ed

Ryuu
06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
2.) Most dwarfs will breed once a month I believe. Any filter no matter the size will be too strong for the fry, I would use a sponge filter, you can get one at the lfs for around $30.00. Dwarf chichlids are probably the most caring parents, they will care for the babies till they can swim on there own, they will not eat them. Hope I could help

kaoticice
06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
The thing is, with that much stock level i highly doubt any sponge filter will handle that amount of bio-load. Is it possible to remove the fry from their parent straight after they're free swimming?

thankx for ur help

Ryuu
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes you can do that, I would get another 10g for the fry to swim in tho, as soon as they hit maturity, they will breed and fight like adults, so it may become quickly overpopulated, when she lays the eggs, I would take the female out, and then try to divide the tank so that the filter is not by the fry

kaoticice
06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
thank you for the great advice. :19:

Would a 10 gallon be enough to be a grow-out tank for the fry?

Ryuu
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Sure, anything over 5 gallons is good for 10-20 fry! and dont worry bout the advice its why im here =D