PDA

View Full Version : Can angelfish grow their fins back?

graceluvsplatys
05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi! graces little sis again. My angelfishes fins are all ragged--can they be grown back? if so, how long would it take?

Algenco
06-01-2008, 02:58 AM
they should heal, if the rays of the fin are damaged or parts missing regrowth will be minimal. Example, if the dorsel or anal fin had had part of the tips chewed off they will forever have rounded tips

smaug
06-01-2008, 03:09 AM
I think the prognosis will be better then algenco says if you keep good water and treat with melafix.My surviving angels fins were torn ragged with the tips gone by another angel.He has regrown all his past glory and then some.Do not allow the water to go nasty in any way and make sure to feed them a very good diet while healing and he will be as good as new.
Not trying to step on your toes Algenco,but Ive seen it with my own eyes.

Algenco
06-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I think the prognosis will be better then algenco says if you keep good water and treat with melafix.My surviving angels fins were torn ragged with the tips gone by another angel.He has regrown all his past glory and then some.Do not allow the water to go nasty in any way and make sure to feed them a very good diet while healing and he will be as good as new.
Not trying to step on your toes Algenco,but Ive seen it with my own eyes.

No offense taken but I have had several over the years that didn't,tears heal but if the growing tips of the rays were damaged they didn't grow back to their original shape. I have a male at the present that lost 1/2" of the dorsal, he has regrown about 1/4" and the rays are bent, tip rounded. Not saying it isn't possible

smaug
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Myabe I got lucky then.He was beat up very badly and I thought for sure he would die,but not only did he live,he did great.Ive never had an angel get so mangled before.

graceluvsplatys
06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I am just worried that they willl stay ugly, and nobody will take them! i know I dont have a big enough tank,but i dont know what else to do!