PDA

View Full Version : Will MTS eat my plants?

Angila
05-31-2008, 03:14 AM
Will MTS eat my plants in my tank? What all freshwater snails eat the plants?

smaug
05-31-2008, 03:20 AM
MTS will not harm plants ,I have them in my tank and they actually help a planted tank by keeping the substrate well mixed.I am unsure of what type snails harm plants.

Wild Turkey
05-31-2008, 03:21 AM
Pond snails eat leafy plants, mysterys do as well. I only have a few trumpets but so far they havent followed suite.

swales
05-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Pond snails and ramshorns have been known to eat plants. Apple snails also eat plants, although the most commonly sold species is considered "plant safe." I think to some extent you can minimize this by providing alternative foods to your snails.

smaug
05-31-2008, 03:23 AM
Ive had mystery snails,they never harmed my plants.

swales
05-31-2008, 03:28 AM
Smaug, were your snails Pomacea bridgesii? I have heard that these are the most plant safe of the apple snails (only eating live plants if forced to).

smaug
05-31-2008, 03:32 AM
here is a pic.I have no idea what the latin name for this guy is.I had 3 of them for about a year.

houie925
05-31-2008, 03:43 AM
MTS, euro rams, pond, mystery(pom bridgesii), zebra(asolene spixis) are relatively plant safe. Keep them fed and your plants healthy and your plants should be fine. They primarily eat decaying matter. Any other species of pomacea (I also have maculata and canaliculata)is definitely not nor are the giant rams. that's all I have experience with so I won't comment on others.

Smaug, those look like bridgesii. The other poms I have kept don't have the orange pigment and grow beyond 2" shell diameter. Also if you watch them "licking" the glass the poms look like they have smooth mouths while the giants and channels look like they have jagged little mouths

Angila
05-31-2008, 03:43 AM
looks like my mystery snails

Adrian
05-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Ive had mystery snails,they never harmed my plants.

I have had the gold mystery snails in my tank, and they do not eat plants. I have found only the black ones will munch on plants. The blue, ivory, and gold ones that I have had, do not eat plants. Or perhaps they just don't eat MY plants.....

Angila
05-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Maybe some plants are just really tastey and some aren't? i am scared to try don't want to lose my plants

houie925
05-31-2008, 04:50 AM
I have had the gold mystery snails in my tank, and they do not eat plants. I have found only the black ones will munch on plants. The blue, ivory, and gold ones that I have had, do not eat plants. Or perhaps they just don't eat MY plants.....
Color makes no difference, all pomacea bridgesii have the same plant eating capacity. Black mystery snails are just the natural coloration, dark foot and dark brown shell

nanaglen2001
05-31-2008, 05:49 AM
here is a pic.I have no idea what the latin name for this guy is.I had 3 of them for about a year.

"Congrats" these fellows are plant eaters. And not only plants, they feed on everything, even on your finger if you keep it under their snout long enough.:hmm3grin2orange:

Its a Pomacea canaliculata, and this snail also can become really big, about 8 cm or more in diameter.

Some years ago this snail was introduced to south east Asia and Indonesia. It was meant to be a protein deliverer for the rural people over there, but the snail isnt THAT tasty, so the people leave it allone. Now the rice farmers have lots of problems, cause the Canas feed on the rice plants. Whow thats what I call a tough "Radula":hmm3grin2orange:

A Pomacea bridgesi only feeds on dead plant parts or very soft tissue, cause it hasnt those tough and strong radulas as the canaliculata.

swales
05-31-2008, 06:10 AM
nanaglen2001, how can you tell that it is P. canaliculata rather than P. bridgesii? I would like to be able to tell the difference if shopping for snails :)

nanaglen2001
05-31-2008, 06:28 AM
oh hah, by now I just got the eye for the difference. First I see the difference from the color, its a bit different from a wild colored bridgesi, and I can tell from the color of the "foot" of the snail. On the pic it just screams Canaliculata. Then on the pic you see a tiny yello spot on the shell near the middle of the snail. Also typical.

But if you want to be sure, take the snail into your hand and look at the house.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1488/bridgesicanaliculataawp4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1488/bridgesicanaliculataawp4.6dbc6ba5a4.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=443&i=bridgesicanaliculataawp4.jpg)

On the left side, the small snail is a Bridgesi, the big one on the right is a Canaliculata.

Wild Turkey
05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Yup looks like someone beat me to this post, the snail you listed is a larger species smaugie.

imo ZERO snails are 100% plant safe, they eat plant matter to live. Theres some luck involved ive seen most types mentioned on this thread eat some sort of plants, but who knows which types they prefer. Generally mosses and the like do fine, and are ignored while leafy plants may look more appetizing. However, i dont ever heard of MTS giving anyone problems in that area.