PDA

View Full Version : Ethical problem

scruffy
05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I have an ethical problem. Periodically, I take a couple dozen of my baby mollies to a petstore to find new homes. Iíve got a bunch of them that are big enough and they need to go soon. My parameters have been a nightmare and this seems the best way to improve them.

The problem is, that Iíve had a string of baby mollies and platys with TB symptoms (bent spines) and there is no way to tell which of the healthy fish have been exposed to it because Iíve moved some of the asymptomatic fish to other tanks and canít remember who was where.

Lately Iíve been moving the TB fish into a 10 gallon and away from any that I might give to the pet store. Itís at a lower temp which I heard is better for TB and more of a hospice than a hospital.

Should I impose a quarantine period for my healthy fish before I give them up - like wait a few weeks to see if they are really healthy? Or do you think itís OK to take them there now and hope for the best? It took me a long time to find a proprietor that really seems happy when I bring in my mollies. I just feel bad about a stranger buying a fish from them that ends up with such a debilitating, infectious, and fatal disease.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

S

gm72
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd wait. Go spreading TB around and no one will take your fish, you'll lose your reputation, and potentially kill a lot of other people's fish in the process. Imagine how you'd feel if you sold fish that had TB, someone bought a few to add to their beautiful community tank, the TB spread, and killed every single fish in that tank. All because of you. Not too cool.

Hopefully the deformity is simply a congenital defect of sorts and not actually TB.

ladyoutlaw50
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd wait. Go spreading TB around and no one will take your fish, you'll lose your reputation, and potentially kill a lot of other people's fish in the process. Imagine how you'd feel if you sold fish that had TB, someone bought a few to add to their beautiful community tank, the TB spread, and killed every single fish in that tank. All because of you. Not too cool.

Hopefully the deformity is simply a congenital defect of sorts and not actually TB.

I agree!! better safe then sorry!!! don't want to ruin your rep!! good luck!!

Rue
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
NEVER take potentially sick animals to be sold...this is why 'pet' owners have such a bad reputation!

luvfins
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Are you sure it is TB? Could it instead be genetic in whatever way affects poor balloon Mollies?

scruffy
05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't know how my post ended up in the brackish column, but they are mollies! I finally bought one of those cheapo one gallon tanks for my two little ones w/ bendy spines. I don't think it's genetic in this case because they were at least a month or two old before showing signs. Will I ever know if the other fish are OK?

graceluvsplatys
06-08-2008, 03:57 AM
I have an ethical problem. Periodically, I take a couple dozen of my baby mollies to a petstore to find new homes. Iíve got a bunch of them that are big enough and they need to go soon. My parameters have been a nightmare and this seems the best way to improve them.

The problem is, that Iíve had a string of baby mollies and platys with TB symptoms (bent spines) and there is no way to tell which of the healthy fish have been exposed to it because Iíve moved some of the asymptomatic fish to other tanks and canít remember who was where.

Lately Iíve been moving the TB fish into a 10 gallon and away from any that I might give to the pet store. Itís at a lower temp which I heard is better for TB and more of a hospice than a hospital.

Should I impose a quarantine period for my healthy fish before I give them up - like wait a few weeks to see if they are really healthy? Or do you think itís OK to take them there now and hope for the best? It took me a long time to find a proprietor that really seems happy when I bring in my mollies. I just feel bad about a stranger buying a fish from them that ends up with such a debilitating, infectious, and fatal disease.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

S
i wouldnt buy mollies from your lfs
lol
good luck, and imaginbe if you were a little kid with her first fish tank. buys cute little molly. becomes insnely attached. finds it disintegrating grossly on the tank a week later.
not prety

Incredulous_Ed
06-08-2008, 04:53 AM
I don't know how my post ended up in the brackish column, but they are mollies! I finally bought one of those cheapo one gallon tanks for my two little ones w/ bendy spines. I don't think it's genetic in this case because they were at least a month or two old before showing signs. Will I ever know if the other fish are OK?
Personally, I think it wouold be best to cull the TB infected fry, and wait to see if the other ones show signs. If you are really in dount, then maybe it woudl best to cull the whole generation :(

donvichu
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
first try to confirm if it is tb or genetic syndrome,If its TB please donot give it and better if you take precautions so you dont get it

scruffy
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't plan on sending any of my kiddos to the pet store for the present time and haven't for a couple months. Right now, I am down to two little ones in my 1 gallon TB tank. I'd gone for about a week before finding any new bendy babies and found the second one the night before last.

Is there a way to tell if it's genetic or tb? I kind of assumed that was the problem because it seemed to pass from guppies to platies to mollies and they are usually at least a few weeks old before they show their twistiness. Then again, I could keep a closer eye on the new babies.

I know a fish can live for a long time with TB infection before showing any signs. After how many weeks or months without any new cases can I consider my fish to be safe?
S