PDA

View Full Version : Lateral line on Blue Rams

LosC
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
I notice lateral lines on my Rams, some more so than others. What could be causing this? I'm seeing 2 different kinds of lateral lines, one is a thick slightly discontinued black line that runs the whole side of the fish. The other is a very thin sharp line, almost as if a needle lightly scratched across the side of the fish. I'm seeing these lines on all of them I believe. I've kept all of them for different lengths of times for each but they been together for 2 months I'd say, One of them has never really coloured up since I got her from a lfs.

I have 5 in a 30g long, temp is 80F. Good filtration, could be better though, 60g rated hang on Top Fin filter which I believe is another name for a Tetra Whisper. I feed them twice a day, they're kept on HBH sinking pellets (NLS coming in the mail). They also get all Hikari; tubifex worms cubes, freeze dried krill, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and they occasionally like to munch on my Corys sinking wafers for some weird reason.

All of my Rams are females. Other than the lines they look healthy. Active, colorful, social. Help me out, I don't like the look of the lateral lines on them.

LosC
05-31-2008, 05:25 AM
Here's a pic of the thick black lateral line on one of my Rams.

Ryuu
05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Sorry im not quite sure but its a beutiful fish tho

Incredulous_Ed
05-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeh, rams have that. It's not a problem though. IME, dwarf cichlids do better on nls exclusevley, at least mine do, unless you're trying to breed.

LosC
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
The lateral lines seem to be in relation with mood change. When I feed meaty foods they brighten up and most of them lose their lateral line completely. When they argue with each other I noticed one will show a lateral line while the other does not. The most dominant Ram in my tank never shows a lateral line.

They hate the pellets I have them on, can't wait for the NLS to come in. They get really excited when they see me preparing meaty foods for them. Was wondering if anyone feeds their Rams beef or chicken? I would like to feed them some boiled chicken breast.

Fishalicious
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
How many Rams do you have? The subdominant Rams will always show the lines - they are showing they are no threat to the dominant fish so they are left in peace and not challenged. That's why it is nicest to just keep a pair (male/female) then if they are happy they will be on top color most of the time.

LosC
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I have 5 females together. The one pictured up top is the least colorful of the 5 but she is the least shy of them all. I was thinking of moving her into my 20g but she doesn't seem unhappy and I would do her harm keeping her solo.

kaoticice
06-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I dont recommend moving any fish to another tank IMO. Since they have established some kind of pecking order, once one member is removed the order might be ruined and aggression may fill the tank.
Just my thoughts
Ed