PDA

View Full Version : Update on 5.5g betta tank

Ellen4God
05-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Well, I've posted many threads about my 5.5g betta tank that seems to be covered in algae constantly.

I finally just completely stopped turning the light on in the tank. I was concerned that it would make my live plants die, but I think it gets enough direct and indirect sunlight to take care of the plants. They actually seem to be growing pretty nicely. I haven't had to take care of hair algae much at all - I've removed it once in about a month (I think it's been that long....maybe...?). I do see that I need to remove some more, but I'll probably do that when I switch the tank over to sand - which may be next week. The hair algae that is in the tank right now is struggling to survive, I do believe. It doesn't spread very quickly at all, which was not the case before. I'm now considering a glass top for this tank since it sits on my desk, and I want to make it look a little nicer, so not having the black hood with the hump for the light would be nice. Since I don't use the light anymore, I figured having a glass top would look cleaner and nicer. I haven't decided yet though. I'd have to get it cut for the heater and filter.

I'm just happy that my algae is almost nonexistent now! yay