PDA

View Full Version : Glass tiles?

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2008, 12:16 AM
I was thinking about something today that I thought might be kinda cool. I would like to try this one of these days.

Many people like to keep their larger cichlids in a clean bottomed tank ....no substrate. I was wondering how would it be to lay glass tiles in the bottom of the tank and put a light under them to shine thru. Would that be cool? Or even doing the back of the tank and putting a light behind it.

Of course on the back they'd have to be siliconed but in the bottom they could just lay there and removed later if you wanted to make a change.

A stand does not need a cover on the top of it if it's holding a glass tank (acrylic you do) so if you had a simple frame built and put no top on it, you could mount lights underneath.

Good or bad idea?

Algenco
05-30-2008, 12:20 AM
lighting from the bottom would drive the fish nuts , they try to orient their body so light strikes both eyes equally from above

crackatinny
05-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I have often thought of using them as a background, but thought they may freak the fish out.

toddnbecka
05-30-2008, 05:32 AM
I have read that fish will orient themselves according to a light source, but I have a fluorescent light fixture set diagonally behind the 10 gallon that houses my Endler's. Even with the overhead (hood) light turned off and the room dark otherwise, they don't swim sideways or otherwise seem disoriented by the light coming from the back rather than above. (I was somewhat disappointed, actually... LOL)

Adrian
05-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Whoa! Psychedelic man!!! Like check all them groovy colors......:18:

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2008, 02:26 PM
The light would be diffused thru colored tiles rather than sitting on top of them glaring down. Seems they would be more opt to eat at the waters surface if they weren't swimming into a source of light.

I was also thinking of buying a sheet of that plastic stuff that's used in cabinets, etc.......made to look like colored glass. Cheaper, for sure. Decorative panels, I guess it's called. Could be mounted to the back easily.