PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Flowerhorn Cichlids?

Glasstapper
11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I've been doing a lot of research lately on these. They are hybrids and are not found in the wild. It seems that their markings and hump can bring the owner good luck, but a lot of people are opposed to the cross-breeding of fish to develop a new species (like the blood parrot). They are considered to be fung shei fish. I think they are incredibly interesting, and would really like to have one one day. I'm not superstitious, but they're said to be very smart like oscars and will recognize their owners and the owners can play with them.

What is your opinion on the Flowerhorn Cichlid?

Fishguy2727
11-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Most cichlids will recognise individuals, so that isn't really anything particular to flowerhorns. I don't think we should hybridise to the point of complications such as a parrot cichlid's deformed mouth. So for me flowerhorns woudl be fine.

However I do have a separate issue with breeding for certain characteristics. This almost always ends up with less and less hardy stock. This is evidenced in discus, guppies, bettas, goldfish, dogs, etc. For example: If someone wanted to breed solid black discus, they would start taking the darkest individuals and the individuals with the most black. When this is done the actual quality is overlooked. So instead of breeding the hardiest individuals which would make the hobby more appealing, they end up breeding for certain colors and the overall hardiness of the stock declines. The discus keeper is good at keeping discus, so it is not an issue for him to keep them alive. But for most hobbyists this increased sensitivity can be too much and these fish end up dying, meaning tough luck for the fish and a hobbyist discouraged from that species, if not the hobby as a whole.

kimmers318
11-29-2006, 05:51 AM
The colors I saw in pics were beautiful, but I just can't seem to like the look of the humped up head.....not my thing I guess.

jeffs99dime
11-29-2006, 06:28 AM
i like the way they look. different. that's all i can say about that though, as i don't really know much else about them.

William
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I usually dislike hybrids but I accept flowerhorns for a few reasons including.
- Flowerhorns are made from species that spontaneous spawn with each other when no other fish are around. (and sometimes otherwise when they "fall in love")
- Flowerhorns (in the broad definition of flowerhorns) does exist in the wild even if they are rare. This is due to the reason above and that the different species sometimes spawn with each other in the wild as well.

I do however believe that it is very important that Flowerhorn keepers take their responsibility and not introduce these fish into the wild as these crossbreeds cause enormous damage in the wild. (all aquarists should take care not to introduce fish but it even more important with a fish as hardy, strong and destructive as the flowerhorn)

William
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I usually dislike hybrids but I accept flowerhorns for a few reasons including.
- Flowerhorns are made from species that spontaneous spawn with each other when no other fish are around. (and sometimes otherwise when they "fall in love")
- Flowerhorns (in the broad definition of flowerhorns) does exist in the wild even if they are rare. This is due to the reason above and that the different species sometimes spawn with each other in the wild as well.

I do however believe that it is very important that Flowerhorn keepers take their responsibility and not introduce these fish into the wild as these crossbreeds cause enormous damage in the wild. (all aquarists should take care not to introduce fish but it even more important with a fish as hardy, strong and destructive as the flowerhorn)

Fishguy2727
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Most hybrids are made when fish do it when no others of the same species are around. This is usually in a tank. That is how you end up with things like texas x convicts. It also happens in ponds with goldfish x koi.

Abbeys_Mom
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Flowerhorns are beautiful fish. I was suckered into getting 5 of them once. I was assured that they would be great in my 55g. I nearly fainted when I found out how big they get. In less then 24 hours they were back at the store and I had a pair of Nics instead. I would have loved to have kept them, the colors were amazing. I am only opposed to hybrids when it carries negative traits that affect the quality of life for the new type. The first example that comes to mind is cats with the really stubby legs (breed name has completely flown from my head). It would be awful to be a cat and not be able to run and jump. You see the poor things trying so hard and just embarrassing themselves.

Glasstapper
11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
yeah, I'm not too sure on my feelings about selective breeding. I think I would like it better if they did selective breeding to make a species better (hardier, stronger, etc.), but if it's just for appearance, then I'm not too sure about it.

Their colors really are awesome, but it's too bad if you get one that doesn't show colors like others. Also, I still think the Tiger Oscar's colors are probably prettier. That's just my opinion, though. Heck, if I had it my way, I'd try to find a way to get a separate tank for each - one for the flowerhorn and one for the tiger oscar! lol

jman
12-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Although the colors are nice I am not to happy about the production of hybrid fish simply because of the natural breeders lost. Every natural breeder should know that without the production of there own hybrid the profit they are getting and value is lost. I kind of think of flowerhorn cichlids like 'money', they just seem to promote a self made profit out of other fish and it is not fair to others because the natural fish seem to become downgraded.

Sonja
12-31-2006, 10:33 PM
we bought a flower horn a couple months ago and think she is a great addition to our tank of 3 large oscars, 2 tinfoil barbs and a lace catfish. however, i do have to say she is extreamly aggressive and we worry a little about the other fish as she grows bigger. right now the flower horn is about 5 inches and will try to attack the other fish on occassion...the oscars are twice her size. yet they all seem to get along for the most part (no battle scars as of yet). i have seen the flowerhorn try to eat fairly big goldfish and mostly bite them in half, we are amazed at the actual size of her mouth when it is open. we love her colors and of black and white stripes with a bright pink head and three very distinctive black dots. she is awsome to look at. if you get one, i wouldn't recommend more than one because they are very territorial. good luck!
sonja

Fishguy2727
01-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Are you breeding the goldfish yourself? None of those fish should need live food and I highly suggest getting them off live BEFORE they get a nice assortment of diseases.

sushant
02-10-2007, 04:34 PM
these r nice fish to have.like most of the cichlids they r hardy and require less care.but they are very territorial,may even attack a human.my fh once bite my cousine leading to a bleeding finger.so take care

reddevil6
03-17-2007, 06:04 AM
i think flower horns are great fish i have a flower horn cross red devil in my tank

genitor
03-17-2007, 06:04 PM
this post is almost 4 months old!!!

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
theres little dates on the top. This thread is old and noone will read it.