PDA

View Full Version : shell dwellers

ladyoutlaw50
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
After reading different things on here as well as some awesome information that some of you have provided -- I have decided to do a 10gal. with shell dwelling cichlids.
Can anyone tell me the best type of sand to get as well as what type of filter I should get? I am not sure where to get the shells -- I am going to log on to ebay and amazon and look for some books as well
I am asking here first as you all have so many ideas and suggestions!!
Thanks in advance for any and all advice on my new venture!! don't feel you have to limit suggestions and such to just sand and filters -- any advice would be awesome!!
again thanks to all!!:19:

Devon Greatwolf
05-28-2008, 09:06 PM
In my Tangiyikan tank i use a mixture of crushed coral and dry aragonite as substrate. As for filters I like whisper brand due to the price and availibility of parts. Whisper also has very little "flow by". I always oversize my filters i.e. a 20 gallon gets a 40 gallon filter a 50 gallon gets two 30-60 filters. As for shells you could check your local Wal-Mart (or such dept store). Also craft stores usually have some selection of shells. GOOD LUCK

ladyoutlaw50
05-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Thank you -- I have whisper now and have had no issues with them. I also go with the next size up for my tank!!!
So pretty much any shell will work?? I haven't seen any shell dwelling cichlids sold in any lfs, where should I look for them?? any ideas??

sailor
05-29-2008, 01:55 AM
As far as sand goes I use Pool Filter Sand on all my african cichlid tanks. This forum might help you locate some shellies as well as some of the shells.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/

Hope this helps

toddnbecka
05-29-2008, 03:42 AM
I'd recommend multi's, they're the smallest and easiest to keep/breed. You'd be much better off with a 20 long, but you can keep a pair and some fry in a 10. I got my shells from cichlidbreeding.com (45 gold-mouth turbo shells for my colony of multi's), good selection and reasonable prices.

ladyoutlaw50
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks toddnbecka and sailor!! and Devon greatwolf!!! As soon as I get home from work today I will be checking those sites out!! I already have a 10 gal and that is why I decided to go with that --you think they will be ok in a 10 tho?
what about cycling?? never have done a fishless cycle before -- would u recommend one for this tank??
thanks again to all!!!
have a great day!!

sailor
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Just squeeze some filter media from a seeded filter and use some water from other set up tanks. All most an instant cycled tank.

toddnbecka
05-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Multi's would be the best bet for a 10 gallon tank because they're colony-oriented fish, as well as being the smallest species of cichlid. They're quite protective of their fry until the young males become mature, then they're "kicked out" of the dominant male's territory. Other, larger species will at best ignore their fry soon after they're free-swimming, and often eat them.

ladyoutlaw50
05-29-2008, 08:21 PM
thanks for all the good advice!! I truly appreciate it!! Can't wait to get started!!!