PDA

View Full Version : water line?

cubanitoloko23
11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I have a small symple question that has been bothering my for a while, and i need to know so i can correct the problem if any? Why arent we supposed to fill the tank to the brim? Other than the possibility of fish jumping out i dont see the need to have the water low, but i am sure there is an explanation, any answers will be apreciated.

Glasstapper
11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, I leave a couple of inches at the top for when I have to put my hand way down in there. I learned the hard way when water started sloshing over to the floor!

also, fish can still jump out (if they're the jumping kind) even if the water isn't all the way to the top. A tight fitting lid usually handles that.

cubanitoloko23
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
so it is just for cleaning purpose then? I thought that it was for some other reason

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I keep my water just to the point that you can't see the top of the water below the rim, that is the way I like it. Yes, I have to be careful sticking my hand in, usually just wait for water changes to keep it simple. Hubby keeps his about 1 1/2 inches below the top and the constant water line mark, and crap that you see that sticks to the glass from floating around (like bits of flake) drive me nuts. Especially since his tanks are in the living room, thankfully we don't entertain much :). I guess it is mostly personal preference, I don't know of any specific reason not to fill to the top other than like grasstapper said, there isn't any room for water displacement if you need to reach in.

cubanitoloko23
11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
ok, so we keep it at pretty much the same level, i mean i dont take it to the top where the canopy is but i see and hear people talking obut 2 inches down so it was bugging me a little, but thanks a lot, i guess that monkey is off my back now

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I used to fill my Oscar tank to just under the lip that hold up the canopy. It was in the same room as the TV and the noise from the filter would get loud when the water got low. I would only be digging around in the tank if I was cleaning the gravel and I would just siphon off the first inch of water before I started cleaning the gravel. I do keep the water level low in my gourami tank, so I can see the floating plants.

NorthernBoy
11-28-2006, 09:59 PM
You should be careful how full the tank is depending on the type of hood you have. I use versatops so I fill my tank up almost full. But with plastic hoods you need to be sure to protect the lights from moisture!

cubanitoloko23
11-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Got it, and thank you all for the answers

jeffs99dime
11-29-2006, 06:11 AM
i've also noticed that if you fill your aquarium to close to the top the water condensates faster on the bottom of the glass on the hood, speeding up the calcium scale on the glass

Lady Hobbs
11-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Having the water from the filter hitting the surface makes for more oxygen in the tank and keeps things circulating better with some head space. I leave 2-3 inches. You also don't want food sticking to the frame when it's easier to clean from the glass.