PDA

View Full Version : I got me a snail!!!

smoochxoxo
05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Well I have ventured into snail land. I was told it is a trap door snail. All the lfs had was them or black mystery snails and if I was going to get a snail I was hoping for atleast something with color. But anywhoo...mr. trap door snail, which my daughter named spot but we are ever so slowly changing that...had a cool looking shell...the part towards the top is actually a whiter color and the bottom is typical snail color.
Does anyone have this type of snail??
Hugs

Angila
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Congrats on the snail i aonly have mystery snails BUT i would love to see pics of your new addition

houie925
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
they're common in ponds. depending on species some grow pretty large, 2"+. livebearing snail that reproduces pretty slowly. I think all the trapdoor snails breed sexually so if you only have one and it is small you're likely not going to have babies.

freshwaterfishlover
02-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I had a Trapdoor Snail once. It lived a long time, but I keeped it in 100% water.

Jacko
02-15-2009, 04:22 AM
They're really cool snails, not good with other snails though, they have a horrible habit of eating other snails.

I caught a couple dozen out of a lake once, had them in my pond for a few years, they didn't breed much, just a few every month. Unfortunately, racoons really like snails... I really hope that racoon god Chinese Liver Fluke from eating them. *grrr*

troy
02-15-2009, 05:35 AM
I had a Trapdoor Snail once. It lived a long time, but I keeped it in 100% water.
Old thread.

Jacko
02-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Old thread.

lol, I didn't even notice that(blush)

troy
02-15-2009, 05:51 AM
It's not your fault.

reticulata
01-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Okay, I'm new to snails except PS, 40 years in fish. I just got a bunch of assassination and trapdoor snails. I've been trying to find answers to the following questions:

1) I need to tell the difference between the PS's and trapdoors so I don't crush the TD's when crushing the PS's for fish food. Do the baby TD's look like their parents? So far everything looks round like a PS.

2) The TD's lay around a lot, right side up and upside down, sometimes for a long as a day or two. Right when I think they're dead, they move. How long will they sit motionless so I can tell if they are dead or not?

3) Should I keep the TD's separate from the assassination snails and/or shrimp?

I learned a good lesson right off the bat and that is don't put your TD snails in a tank with adult clown loaches. That was a bummer. Thanks for any info you can give. Reading about fish, snails, shrimp. etc. is great but sometimes one needs info from an "owner".

:help: