PDA

View Full Version : Question - Keyhold Cichlids, mating behaviour?

chickenchowmein
05-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Ive had a pair of Keyhole Cichlids for about 8 months now, i think they are sexually mature, and im pretty sure i have one male and one female. Simply because the "male" is much larger and has longer dorsal and anal fins.

Recently he has started chasing the smaller female around the tank, while doing so he seems to develop almost a "mane" on what would be his chin, directly below the eyes. This only pops up when hes approaching her, the only analogy i can think of is that its almost like he puffs his chest out.

Either way she doesnt seem to keen, which isnt helped by the pearl gourami which has recently started to chase them both. This is the first instance of aggression from the gourami since he was introduced.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what the hell is going on with my fish? are they fighting, mating or generally just trying to confuse me?

ladyoutlaw50
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
I have never heard of keyhole cichlids -- can you tell me more about them?? Sorry I can't help with your original question:c12:

toddnbecka
05-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Likely the male is trying to entice the female, and she isn't ready, willing, and/or able to spawn. Make sure the female has enough room to escape the male, plenty of plants and a few rockpiles/flowerpots may help as well.
Incidentally, how large is the tank?

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2008, 04:20 AM
I have never heard of keyhole cichlids -- can you tell me more about them?? Sorry I can't help with your original question:c12:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile64.html

chickenchowmein
05-30-2008, 05:59 PM
My tanks a 22 gallon, soon to be upgraded as i have the tank im just waiting for them to grow a little more. Its getting a bit tragic now as she seems ot just hide at the opposite end of the tank to him behind a rock.

Oh and for some reason one of my yo-yo loaches suddenly died with no indication that he was unhealthy, i studied the body and he didnt have a mark on him...starting to get worried now :/

Subic76
06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I have seven Keyholes in a 125 gallon community tank.
Two have paired off. They lay eggs about once a month.
When they have eggs they will chase all other fish away, but NOT to the point of any fish hiding behind anything.
All the males will show the beard in chase, and will chase other males. Most chases only last a few inches, never to any fish hiding.
My guess would be these fish do not have enough room or hiding places.
Meaning out of view from the other fish.
I don't mean a 125 gallon but you should give these fish more room. A bigger tank.
I so enjoy Keyholes.
Best of luck with yours.
http://www.msdsite.com/photopost/data/542/medium/2march08_guarding.JPG