PDA

View Full Version : Disease??

Cynthia
11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Hello all I am new! We have 4 tropical tanks going right now, they were all healthy and going strong for 5 years until purchasing two plecos a few weeks ago. Now, my 50 gallon has ich - mainly the clown loach and upside down catfish. We are treating with salt/higher temperatures and Quick cure. The problem is my 30 gallon. Everyone was fine yesterday and today we woke up to a dead clown loach and a dead catfish that we have had for over a year. Needless to say, upset! The loach had a thick film of cloudy slime on him as well as the catfish and one of the snails (we removed the snail). I have no idea what this is, but obviously it is killing my fish VERY quickly. Help!

Cynthia

Abbeys_Mom
11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
If they were in the tank you treated with salt and quick cure, then it was the meds. Snails need to be removed before before treating with most meds. Salt kills snails and fish without scales (there are very few who tolerate it).

Cynthia
11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi

Thank you so much for your reply, and I apologize for not being clear.......the tank where I am losing the fish is a seperate 30 gallon, it is my 50 gallon that has the ich that I am treating now. The snail wasn't a fancy one or anything, it was the annoying brown ones that come in off plants. That is why we bought the clown loach that passed away. I just can't figure out why the fish suddenly died and had that slime on them.

Thank you again! :)

Cynthia

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Welcome to AC community forums. Sounds as you have fungus. You will need to treat the tank.

kimmers318
11-28-2006, 09:03 PM
This is a very good reason why alot of people quarantine their new fish. If something comes in with a fish it quickly can be passed around to your other fish, and even sometimes to other tanks if you use the same equipment (nets etc) for all tanks.
Clown loaches are susceptible to ICK from what I hear....although I haven't had any outbreaks with mine that I have had, so it would easily show signs of ICK if it got stressed or it was brought in. It sounds like you may have brought something in with the new plecos. I would personally try a round of melafix and pimafix unless/until you can identify what it might be.