PDA

View Full Version : Home made

rebelagent
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
I went camping a while back and the camp owner had made his own pound. It was about 4x4 feet and about 3 feet deep.

There was now cement walls or anything just plain dirt hole.

Im wondering if this is safe.

He had 2 big kois in the and about 5 Trout.

The seemed to live around each other fine. The owner said the only problem he has was bears getting to them.

Would there be any other issues?

I'd think the trout would get to the koi after a while.

dan788
12-08-2005, 01:42 AM
A setup like this work good in some areas and not so good in others. It all depend on the type of soil you have in your area (and the amount of toxins in the soil)

Koi Carps grow large enough to be safe from the trout. If the koi carp are big enough not to be eaten when first introduced they will mos tlikely make it but it can be worth to keep an eye on them if your trout grows faster than the Koi carps.

lpstong
12-27-2005, 04:52 PM
There is a great article on homemade ponds in the ac tropical fish topic. You can find under the betta section. They also talk about waterfalls in the pond as well as pond fountains and filters. It is very informative and I read in it that an ideal height for a waterfall for a pond is 2 feet. It has other great information in there as well.

boston
01-27-2007, 09:45 PM
i used to have a pond that was made like that but we have sand instead of soil and it also had trout in with some bass and catfish.all i did was build it and then channelled the crick close by to flow through it this kept it full and made a current for the trout.