PDA

View Full Version : Problem #2, Worms in my Axolotl aquarium

Har.
11-28-2006, 04:55 AM
Hi again,

For a while I have noticed strange worms appearing in my Axolotl aquaruim, they are light brown, about half an inch or maybe a inch at most long and anchor themselves in the gravel, Ive noticed alot more appearing when I leave uneaten food in the aquarium (I try to get all uneaten food out without missing any), I don't allways put the filter on either since it distresses my Axolotl so much and I think this is also I factor in these worms growing.

I can't get rid of these worms no matter how hard I try, I have thaught about complety draining the tank, cleaning it well and letting it dry in the sun for a day but I have no were else to accommodate my Axolotl, for 4 years these worms never appeared and I allways use the same type of food.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Slinky_Bass
11-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Han,

interesting question (and interesting choice of pet I must say). Firstly, don't completely drain & clean your tank out, if you have no where to house him, then you also don't have anywhere for him to stay while the tank cycles.

Secondly, I think since you have definitely seen an increase of the worms if you leave uneaten food around that the worms are related to an overload of waste in your tank. This is probably compounded by erratic filtration. So, on this front there are three things you can do to help the situation.

1. Be as meticulous as possible about cleaning up uneaten food. i don't know how often you clean up, but if its only say like 3 times a week try for every day. Also, while siphoning up food siphon out as many worms as you can as well.

2. Weekly water changes of 20% for filtered Axolotl tanks are recommended, while for unfiltered tanks changes of 10% 2-3 times a week, and even daily partial water changes are recommended. Which leads me to suggestion #3. (Just out of interest what are your water parameters?)

3. I know that Axolotls are very sensitive to water flow, which is why you've not really had your filter on too much, but if you feel like a bit of DIY then you can put together a filter setup that will help keep your water
quality good (and hopefully help get rid of the worms) and not stress out your Axolotl. Check out http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm to see how John P. Clare set up his filter for his Axolotls.

As for the worms themselves, I'm not too sure but from what I've read on the Larvaetech critter page it sounds like they might be tubifex worms?They are brownish - reddish worms 1-2 inches long and more slender than blackworms and have no easily visible segmentation.

* In nature they are generally found in sewage, or water with a heavy organic load. They live submerged, in burrows, and often wave one end in the water to feed * this is the bit that really makes me think it might be tubifex. Have you introduced any new plants into the tank, tried a different live food, if so thats probably where your worm problem started.

Well, I hope this helps and the best of luck with your Axolotl :)

PS the pic is from a site called http://www.caudata.org , its full of lots of interesting stuff on newts and salamanders. Do these worms look anything like yours?

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I would suggest lots and lots of gravel cleaning and changing out the filter media as some may be breeding there as well. I would add aquarium salt as well as most worms will not live in salt.

Glasstapper
11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Does he look like this?!
http://www.bogleech.com/pkmn-axolotl.jpg
How cute!!

Har.
11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks all!

I suppose they are tubifex worms then, I'll try out all things you mentioned, also, what live foods would you recommend to feed my axolotl? I currently feed him axolotl pellets I baught from the pet shop and I'd like to know some alternatives.

This website about housing axolotl's is great too!

P.S. My axolotl is black and I've had him for five years now!

Thanks again! =)

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Any chances on getting a few loaches?

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Now that you got your award you have turned into a smarty-pants. LOL
I think that's the thing that crawled out of my angelfish!!

Slinky_Bass
11-28-2006, 11:10 PM
There are plenty of alternatives, and amongst them I'd say the safet options for you to try would be frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms and freeze-dried tubifex worm cubes.

Other foods that Axolotl owners have had some success with are beef strips, frozen beef heart, feeder guppies, and earthworms.

I'd steer clear of the earthworms and feeder guppies/goldfish though, as they stand a high chance of indroducing parasites/disease into your tank. I've also read about feeder fish nibbling on Axolotl gills!

Whatever you try though, make sure to clean it up quick if your Axolotl doesn't like it, the last thing you need now is more waste for those worms to feed off.

Lastly, (and completely unrelated :) does your Axolotl have a name? I'd love to see some pics him/her as well, they're so cute!

Well Han, you've had you're Axolotl for five years now and I hope you can keep him happy and healthy for many more.

Slinky_Bass
11-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Now that you got your award you have turned into a smarty-pants. LOL
I think that's the thing that crawled out of my angelfish!!
Lol, Axolotls are cute Hobbs, nothing like icky fish louse/lice

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I had something in one of my angelfish that sure sounded like a louse to me. It was hardshelled, had a bunch of legs, etc. Put one big hole in my angelfish too. I have no idea where it come from but these Tubifex worms come to mind.

Har.
11-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Would it do any harm to connect a tube to the filter to reduce the water flow a bit?

I tried connecting a long tube to the filter and it reduces the water flow enough that it doesn't annoy the axolotl and this way I can leave the filter on all the time.

Slinky_Bass
11-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah i know, I was following the theads about your poor split wounded angel and I was quite suprised in the end by the cause. How is he doing btw?

Slinky_Bass
11-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Han, I think it might work. What kind of filter do you have? If the intake/outflow is adjustable turn it low.

If you can, try maybe setting up some sort of trickle system, add on a long plastic pipe to the outflow, drill a whole bunch of holes, angle it so it runs flat down the side of the glass and secure with some suction cups. You can also break the flow by having some fake plants bunched by the outflow, or some sort of obstructive aquarium decor.

You axolotl will also appreciate the cover as a little hiding place.

Har.
11-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok, I'll try to modify the pipe I am using, I dont know were to find suction caps though.

Also, I made a hiding place for him out of a plastic container, he hides there alot.

Fishguy2727
11-29-2006, 04:10 AM
My axolotls did great on and loved Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. This is a very good and very high quality food. You may also want to consider New Life Spectrum. If you want to feed something besides these two and it will eat form the surface, most cichlid foods would be fine, but again stick with the very high quality stuff like Hikari and New Life Spectrum. Besides this the only stuff I would feed would be frozen foods. I don't like using freeze-dried as many animals tend to get some and then refuse other foods. And live is out of the question if the animal will take prepared and you are not trying to stimulate breeding, there are simply far many more risks with live food than there are benefits, which there are arguable none of.

How coarse is the gravel? I found that gravel small enough to not trap large amounts of food was small enough to be swallowed, so mine were on bare bottom tanks for their best interest. I did not notice it but it may have been mentioned, but what type of filter? Tank size?