PDA

View Full Version : Question for apistogramma cacatuoides

The Wedge
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I have two orange flash juvenile males in my aquapod 24 gallon with neons, and a juvie dwarf gourami. Will two males get along without killing each other?

angelcakes
05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
dont know anything about them but ive googled a link to see if it can help

http://www.thecichlidgallery.com/article_cacatuoides.htm

Incredulous_Ed
05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Maybe. It would be better to trade in one male and get 2 females.

Fishalicious
05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
They might not quite go to the point of killing each other but one of them is going to be the boss...they will fight it out for a while to see how will be top dog and then I am afraid the other male will not have much of a life and be bullied quite a lot. Like Ed says - swap the male for a female or two and you will enjoy the cacatouides a lot more as well... their mating rituals are lovely to watch.

kaoticice
05-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Is it possible just to highly stock the male species of the apistogramma in one tank, just to spread the aggression?? I'm looking at 4-5 males in the 24 gallon, maybe? would a pair be very aggressive towards other tankmates?

i'm a newbie as well T____T

Incredulous_Ed
05-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Is it possible just to highly stock the male species of the apistogramma in one tank, just to spread the aggression?? I'm looking at 4-5 males in the 24 gallon, maybe? would a pair be very aggressive towards other tankmates?

i'm a newbie as well T____T
I dont know, it could go either way, Maybe try it and if things go out of hand move tem all to different tanks.

Fishalicious
05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Adding more males could defuse the aggression (like at the LFS) but my personal opinion is that they will not be very happy fish...they can not act on their natural instincts and will likely just hang around and pick on each other all day. Part of the joy of fishkeeping for me is seeing the different behaviors of the different species and having so many males will supress it. Just my thoughts.