PDA

View Full Version : Mating Rituals?

Jakaris
11-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum for the species, but when Harlequin Rasboras mate, do they both move together vibrating their fins to the point it seems like their going to fall apart? Then all the sudden twirl together for a bit, break away, repeat?

Glasstapper
11-28-2006, 05:49 AM
hmm, my guppies do that, but they're both males. I was wondering what they were doing, too. I thought maybe they were just showing off for each other. One also arches his body for the other one. Not really sure what it's all about, but it's fun to watch.

jeffs99dime
11-28-2006, 05:56 AM
pulled this off badman's tropical fish-- Breeding:
Many species of Rasbora will breed without too much difficulty, spawning freely in soft, neutral or slightly Acidic water. Unfortunately Rasbora Heteromorpha is not one of these. The water should be very soft with a hardness of 1.5 to 2.5 DH and a Ph of around 6.0. A long breeding tank is also beneficial with a dark substrate. The mating consists of the pair lying upside down under a leaf or similar with the male curling his tail around the female. It may take several days in the spawning tank before mating takes place. The parents will eat their own eggs so it is very important to remove them from the tank right away. After the parents are removed you should carefully lower the water to a depth of four or five inches. The eggs will hatch in 24 to 30 hours and in three to five days the fry become free swimming. The young should be fed on baby brine shrimp and other small foods. Growth is fairly rapid.

billclaire
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
we have 2 tiger barbs acting as though they are kissing and circling around each other the one is slightly darker coloured than the other. are they doing a mating ritual and should we remove them to a breeding tank or lcan we leave them in their

Cliff
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
This thread is over 5 years old, I'm pretty sure the OP got his answer by now

Billclarie, it would be best to start you own thread.